After 2.2 upgrade computer doesn't recognize phone

Last Updated:

1. Texter

Texter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my phone was updated to Adroid 2.2 and now when I plug it into the USB port of my computer it doesn't show up as a device anymore so I can't download any songs, etc.

What should I do? Is there some sort of other procedure I'm missing?

Advertisement
  2. gwcaton

gwcaton Well-Known Member

My wifes does the same thing now . So i had to take the sd card and put it directly in the pc.

3. trav2001

trav2001 Well-Known Member

Just a plain and stupid question, but did you check umder phone settings to make sure that the USB is set up as a disk drive?

4. Texter

I don't even see that as an option on my phone under settings. Where exactly is it listed as an option to do so?

5. chriscrutch

chriscrutch New Member

I have a myTouch 3G from TMobile and had the same trouble. After some digging around, I found another forum that explained it. There's no setting you need to enable, so you can stop looking. It will actually still work, but it's a pain. Reboot the phone. Now try it. Works, right? And it will continue to work over and over again, UNTIL...... you plug something other than your computer into it. Like, your wall charger. Or your car charger. Or your laptop. If you do that, you'll have to re-boot the phone again, and not plug it into anything else, to get it to work on your computer again. It's a bug, and I don't know if it's an Android bug or a TMobile bug or an HTC bug, or if it's going to get fixed. I just know it sucks. Sorry. --chriscrutch P.S. See this: Problems since OTA upgrade - T-Mobile Community

DocWho33, soliwit and Texter like this.
  6. Texter

Can't believe it, but the reboot works! However, what a drag!!

7. Texter

Called T-Mobile and they said I should do a factory reset. I did and it still doesn't work. However, I did loss all my aps. The Market only shows you the paid ones you had installed, not the free ones :(

8. DocWho33

DocWho33 New Member

I have a mytouch 4g and this worked for me too. I think this maybe a froyo error as I have not heard of this issue with people using 2.1 android mytouch, but as soon as they upgrade coputer doesn't recognize.

Thanks for the fix chriscrutch!

9. tukatz

tukatz Well-Known Member

I powered my phone off and back on again and connected it to my laptop and it still doesn't see it. Ain't progress grand?

10. tukatz

tukatz Well-Known Member

My wife's laptop (that had never seen an Android phone) installed a device driver and sees my 2.2 phone just fine. My laptop had previously been connected to my 2.1 phone and refuses to see my 2.2 phone that was updated from 1.6. I tried to clean everything out of the registry, but obviously didn't find everything. If I could get rid of the old device driver I suspect it would be just fine. Any ideas?

11. Raven198

Raven198 Well-Known Member

Use this.

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

12. tukatz

tukatz Well-Known Member

Thanks, Raven. I downloaded it and ran it as Administrator on my Win 7 laptop. I rebooted my phone and connected it and the laptop installed a device driver. However, it does not pop up a window asking what to do with the phone and the phone is not visible in Windows Explorer. The Device Manager shows it as an Unidentified device and claims it is working properly. So I guess it is off to the Windows 7 forum. If I get this resolved I'll report back.

13. tukatz

tukatz Well-Known Member

I brought up the Win 7 Device Manager and uninstalled the device and deleted the driver. Then I connected my wife's 2.1 phone. My laptop installed it, including a driver, and I was able to see it in Windows Explorer. I powered my 2.2 phone off and then on again, disconnected my wife's phone from the laptop, and connected my phone. The laptop installed it, including a driver, and I was able to see it in Windows Explorer. It now behaves in standard 2.2 manner. As long as I have not connected it to anything else, I can connect, disconnect, and reconnect it to my laptop. Once I have connected it to a charger, I must reboot it to get it to connect to the laptop.