After 29 hrs my Battery is 50%

Last Updated:

1. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I received the update yesterday.
    I did about 20 speed checks.Browsed on roaming for at least a half hour.
    Was roaming standby overnight,slept at my girlfriends in the hills.
    Today did moderate calls of about a half hour.
    At 29 hours 30 minutes my battery is still 50%.
    Huge difference so far.
    Oops, forgot I charged in the car for 30 minutes.But this is still way better than before.

Advertisement
  2. <=U=L=T=R=A=>

<=U=L=T=R=A=> Well-Known Member

Before the update i was charging within 3 to 4 hours:(

Now after the update, i have not charged the phone till the end of each day:D

3. shook187

shook187 Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm in the same boat. This is my 3rd epic and they all seem about the same.

4. iBleedBlackNgold

iBleedBlackNgold Well-Known Member

is that your normal usage or did u fall back from using it a little to test the life ?

5. Fangarr

Fangarr Member

My battery life is now amazing as well. I forgot to charge it last night and this morning after 22 hours off the charger I have 41% battery left. I did receive the update, but that is not the reason. (Just glad it didn't make things worse.)

For me, the key change was going into the advanced WiFi settings and making sure that WiFi doesn't turn off when the screen turns off. Once I did that 2 days ago my battery life dramatically improved. I always turn WiFi on while at home and before that change there were many days I couldn't make it through the day even with light usage, now I do so easily.

Not rooted, all stock.

Epicurean likes this.
  6. robl45

robl45 Well-Known Member

where are these advanced wifi settings?

7. jbluther

jbluther Member

Go to Settings, Wireless & Networks, WiFi settings, Menu Button, Advanced, WiFi Sleep Policy, Never.

I think it helped my phone too, but I got the DI18 update about the same time.

Epicurean likes this.
  8. robl45

robl45 Well-Known Member

i tried that although my battery life is fine at home for the most part, its at work where there is weak signal in the building that the phone just gets decimated. time withou signal is under 20% but still battery gets slammed. I'm at like 64% right now having started at 7:45am est. so i'll get maybe 10 hours out of the battery.

9. jbluther

jbluther Member

10 hours out of the battery is "good" for me. Was getting 4 - 6 hours out of it before unless I shut everything off but the phone itself.

10. iBleedBlackNgold

iBleedBlackNgold Well-Known Member

what does not shutting off wifi do to help battery life ? I also keep wifi on while home and have amazing battery life but adding to that would be nice lol

11. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Must be nice!!!

No idea what I did - it automatically goes into Airplane mode from like 10PM to 8AM - I though that I was pretty close to a full charge before bed - and - the battery was completly drained this morning.

12. Devlyyn

Devlyyn Member

I use the battery left application to track how much battery I have left (lol, go figure) and it is set to keep calibrating so it will update its total estimated battery charge. Before the update it would estimate that I got about 10hr40min on a full battery and now it is showing 11hr44min. That's with the same usage and not changing any settings.

13. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Which app?

TIA!!!

14. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

Got the update yesterday afternoon right after a full charge. Still at 60% !!

15. Devlyyn

Devlyyn Member

it's just called "battery left". I like the look of the widget and seems to be really acccurate for me.

16. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

This thing is a beast after the most recent update. I can't believe it's going to get even better when Froyo comes for it. The battery life is so much better for me now. I took 98 photos and 27 videos at the zoo with my daughter today and it's still at around 90%. I used it almost every 3-4 minutes from 10am to 4pm. If only the GPS was as good as the EVO

17. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday battery lasted 24 hours with moderately/heavy useage.
    1 hour on web ,15 min GPS,polled email 4 times,speed test 5 times,used phone 30 minutes.

18. mynewandroid

mynewandroid Active Member

No offense, but I don't believe that for a second.

iwillfearnoevil likes this.
  19. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

Yeah I might have been exaggerating the 90% LOL it was more like 60%. Maybe even less but I was guessing the % based on the little battery graphic. But it is definitely really great with battery life now. I also never set my brightness above 0%

20. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that the first update hosed the battery life and the second update fixed that a bit, but it is not as good as it was with the release firmeware due to the drm running

21. jrdatrackstar

jrdatrackstar Active Member

Wait... so what are you saying now? Are you saying battery life isn't as good as it was when the phone was initially released or that is has never been as good as it has been since the recent update?

Also, did anyone condition their battery before getting good battery life?

22. beldorian

beldorian Active Member

I would really like to know why keeping wi-fi always on makes the battery last longer...

Right now I have juice defender set to run the wi-fi for one min every five mins are you guys actually saying that keeping the radio on all the time will use less than only using the radio 20% of the time? No offense but that sort of seems to violate physics... Do we have actual evidence that this is true or is it just your feeling?

23. Fangarr

Fangarr Member

My numbers are without Juice Defender. Keeping WiFi on prevents the phone from turning WiFi off and turning on the 3G Radio every time the screen turns off plus doing the reverse every time the screen turns back on. The power savings from that turns out to be substantial in my case.

beldorian likes this.
  24. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

1) Lilopns need practically no conditioning. the better battery life people see after a few days is due to playing with every function a bit less.

2) what I am saying, and what everyone is observing, is the Epic at first release had the best battery life. the installation of the first update, with the media hub and its attendant DRM software hosed the battery life. It is slightly improved since but it is nowhere near as good as the initial firmware.

iwillfearnoevil likes this.
  25. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Simple. The Wifi radio doesn't use as much power as the 3G radio. The reason why keeping wifi on even when the screen is off saves power is because all your widget/app updates, if you have any, are drawing off the wifi signal. The 3G radio in these phones draws a lot of power, but hopefully with continued support from Sprint and Samsung it will keep getting better and better.