• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After Lollipop 5.0.1 update, "Cell Standby" causing excessive Battery Drain

freeperjim

Jan 13, 2013
After Lollipop 5.0.1 update on LG/G3, "Cell Standby" causing excessive Battery Drain.

I never encountered this problem or even the use of "Standby" as I'm almost always in strong cell reception.

After 5.0.1 update, this Application is now draining my battery. According to "Battery Usage stats, the drain ranges from 28% to 51%.

Does anyone know why 5.0.1 Lollipop would suddenly cause this problem?

Thanks for tips and comments...

Last edited:
This used to be a big bug on the Galaxy SIII when it got updated to Android 4.3. dealt with a badly written algorithm using an incorrect decimal position making the Cell Standby use more than it should, even when there was plenty of signal, resulting in heavy battery use. I'm not familiar with 5.0.1 on the G3 (as mine has not had the freaking update yet!) but i am assuming the same error just happened again. did you perform a factory reset after the update? i recommend it. clears up bugs like this.

Lollipop is a major upgrade. has far more changes than the switch from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean. As such, you might be facing some incompatibility issues that warrant a factory reset to start fresh.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
UPDATE: 24 hours later, I have new battery usage stats including:

Cell Standby 6%
Phone Idle 8%

1. I still don't understand why the battery is being drained on cell standby, albeit at a lower rate now, when I'm always in strong cell coverage.
2. In addition, "Phone Idle" seems rather high.

Is this the affects of Lollipop? Comments most welcomed.

Upvote 0
Facebook messenger, much like the Facebook app, is horrible in Android and doesn't tend to follow proper policy re: sync, sleep, etc. It's a wake lock nightmare and has been since Cupcake.

If I'm correct, the Dev behind both apps focuses far more effort for the iOS version and Android isn't given that effort. Look how long it took for the UI to catch up to the iOS version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones