• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After more than 1 year - your top apps are...

JSS12

Android Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010
New York City, NY
So I know this forum is on its way down as many people have moved on to new phones and such, but this is more of an Android question.

Now that we have all had about a year or two with Android and have tested thousands of apps/ widgets/ home replacements etc. what are your absolute MUST HAVES? Things that you use on a daily basis... (rooted or not, wtvr)

For me, I am rooted with CM7.1 and although I used to use LauncherPro+ they rarely updated so now I use Go Launcher and am quite satisfied.

Widgets - Beautiful Widgets (Smaller Home) and Pure Calendar Widget have been on my phone since forever and considering I only have 3 screens I think they are kind of important.

Folder Organizer is a must for anyone who doesn't want the iPhone feel of having all your home screens covered in apps.

Apps - Astro, DW Dialer (best replacement dialer I have found), Handcent, Pulse (RSS), Read It Later, Titanium Backup, Miren Browser are crucial for me

Games - Air Control, Backgammon, Chess, Burn the Rope, Cut the Rope, Hexxagon

While there is a lot more on my phone, these are my "Best Of" based on how often I use them.

I am always looking to change and add to my phone, its why after a year and a half my phone still feels new to me.

So please comment and post your MUST HAVEs...

-JSS

My top apps are:

ACar - Keeps all records pertaining to my car
GasBuddy - Tells me where the cheapest gas is
Timeriffic - sets my phone state according to time of day
GroceryIQ - My grocery list with the ability to share with my wife's android
One Night Stand - Bedside Clock
GoodMorning - Alarm that talks with weather and appts for the day
Handcent - messaging
Appbrain & Amazon App Store - no explaination necessary

Others that I use alot:
Apps Organizer - place apps in folders
Pandora - Music
Calorie Counter - Tracks caloric intake
My Tracks - maps out back rides and distance, speed
Key Ring - Keeps all my grocery discount cards on my phone and out of my wallet
Tripit - Organizes my business trips in one convenient spot

Also lots of forum apps:
Phandroid - Read these forums
Morningstar & DBSTalk - Same reasons.

Upvote 0
My top apps:
Mspot Music - all your mp3's clouded
Overdrive media console - books free from the local library - Amazon & B&N digital books cost WAY TOO MUCH!
Amazon appstore
Swiftkey X - Finally a keyboard that dosen't make me want to throw my phone!
Word mix & Word Wrench
World War
100 pushups - Exercise - in my 2nd week & have almost trippled the # of pushups I can do

City ID... J/K

Upvote 0
I'm going to skip some of the ones already posted....

Friendcaster - facebook app, you can *zip* (hide) entries based on key word or person. I think that is the main thing that sets it apart from other FB apps

Gesture Search - search your phone by drawing gestures. I use it when I'm too lazy to scroll thru the app drawer. But it can be used to search for anything on your phone (including contacts)

Gesture Search Bar - used with Gesture Search so that a long press on the search button brings up gesture search

Hurricane Hound - I live near the Gulf of Mexico so I like to keep an eye on the location of the nearest hurricanes

Sign - It's a speed dial app based on unique gestures/swipes that are set up by you

SlideIt Keyboard - you slide your finger across the keyboard to enter text

Timeriffic - control mute, vibrate, wifi & airplane mode based on times you've set up (not as powerful as tasker but easy for me to use)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones