• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After new update I can no longer open certain files

A

Android Question

Until this latest update I was able to use an ebook converter to read converted web pages on my OverDrive app . Now it can no longer open them at all it says No applications to open this file. It has something to do with playbooks which is opening other files I've downloaded but I've never before seen this app.
Please help I'm a shut-in Who reads A Lot on my tablet. Samsung Tab A tablet 6.0. 1

Best not to.
I will try to help. What format are these files?
Not sure how locked into OverDrive you are but there are other readers you could try.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader

With an Android version upgrade comes a lot of changes. It might be an incompatibility. Have you communicated with OverDrive at all?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I wouldn't mind getting another reader as long as I could still use OverDrive for the books that are in there because I'm afraid of losing them. In fact after the update new books are opening up in that Play Books app mostly. I hadn't thought about communicating with overdrive. There is about every kind of format you can think of on that website to convert documents into but the one I've been using for the past few weeks since I discovered the website is EPUB. Now when I convert them to EPUB I can't open them it says no application to open this file. Since new books that I've downloaded are opening it seems that it's only the ones I'm converting at that website. I really hope I can still use it or something like it because it's so much more convenient for me I have vision problems and health issues with my hands that make the ebook format much easier for me to use than just going to a web page. Thank you so much

Upvote 0
Let's try one thing. It requires a file manager for the device. If you can find one of the .epub files you can try long pressing it. You should get a pop up. Look for "open with". Basically, you need to assign an app to handle that file. Every file manager differs so it's hard to explain
Long press means hold down on it with stylus or finger right? I didn't get a pop up for open with I just got that I could share it I could delete it or move it to the home screen. Thank you for your help and being so patient with me :)

Upvote 0
You will need a different file explorer then. I use Solid Explorer. I'm assuming you just used the Samsung stock app. You'll have to Navigate to the file again. Long press or just single press on the icon. You will see a three dot menu on the lower left. Touch that and the app selector should pop up. If your app is not shown then touch the arrow in the upper right of app selector. This will bring up more options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones