After root, how do you remove bloatware?

Last Updated:

1. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

I'm new to android and the whole rooting process. I'm sure my question will be simple to answer.

After I root my Evo how do I remove the bloatware sprint includes.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Well-Known Member

I've never used Android before either. But, as I understand it, it involves building a custom ROM without any of those packages installed and flashing it to your phone.
  3. cesjr02

Seems a little more in depth than I thought, and I consider myself fairly computer savvy. I might wait for one of you awesome guys to make a video tutorial. ha
  4. Gonkutron3000

Gonkutron3000 Well-Known Member

I agree a nice video tut would rule! one that shows everything from what tools/files you need to DL step by step how to root and perform nandroid backup and step by step how to remove bloatware...ive read tons of tutorials but nothing beats a video guide.
  5. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

It should just be a .apk file in system/app

use: "ls -l /system/app" to get to that.

Normally that file is protected (ie: you didn't have root/superuser access).

Remind me to get you guys a quick vid and I'll do it.

I'm going to play around with them for an hour, but I'll probably get rid of everything besides maybe the navigation because I hear it's better

Sorry I just re-read my post and realized that I didn't explain that you need to get a terminal app on your device or terminal into the device from your PC. Either way you get to that fodler, find the app, and delete it. You should be able to get to the folder without root, but only root will get you permissions. Correct me if I'm wrong on the last part.
  6. cesjr02

Yeah I would like to rid of everything but the Sprint Nav app as well. A video tutorial would be great by the way.

jgangsta likes this.
  7. xbox4414

xbox4414 New Member

Hey guys I'm new and could use some help with removing the crap apps. Rooted using unrevoked. Thanks for the help.
  8. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

You know what would be nice? If someone made a stock rom with NO extra's installed but they all the extras were released at .apk files so we can just install what we want.

Or maybe they have?
  9. Liberated

Liberated Member

Same, Rooted with Unrevoked but wishing to delete bloatware.
  10. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Count me in as one of those wanting exact directions. I don't doubt my ability to do it myself, but I also don't doubt my ability to royally screw it up.
  11. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

12. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

Go to the market and spend the 2 bucks for Root Explorer. It will make things MUCH easier. Once rooted and RE installed you can explor the OS and get rid of the extra baggage. When doing this with my Samsung Moment, I went navigated to "system" and then "app" and deleted the .apks I knew I didn't want using up valuable real estate (Bejeweled demo, NASCAR, ect.)

Somebody with more experience in EVO rooting care to back me up and add some more info?
  13. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

I forgot to mention to be sure the toggle switch up at the top of the screen in Root Explorer is set to r/w instead r/o ( read/write instead of read only).
  14. jimmyz1

jimmyz1 New Member

I think you will have to wait for a root method on the EVO that allows write access to /system while in android (as opposed to through pc while in recovery mode) before you can use root explorer to directly delete the bloatware- something to do with nand flash protection- right now your only option is the toast root and recovery
  15. R-droid

R-droid Well-Known Member

I have motorola milestone and I would like to uninstall some pre-installed apps (some quickoffice trial).

If anyone knows anything about it,please tell me.

16. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

This is the Evo forum, completely different os than Motorola
  17. branflake2267

branflake2267 New Member

Tell the FCC - Complain to the FCC about android bloatware!
  18. MonsterLancer

MonsterLancer Member

you can try intalling easy uninstaller by infolife free on the market
  19. midmadn

midmadn Well-Known Member

mcyates likes this.
  20. Inception418

Inception418 New Member

My suggestion would be to not remove the bloatware and instead use something like Titanium Backup or bloatfreezer, to freeze them, effectively allowing them to never open. If you remove the wrong ones you could be in deep. I have also read that removing the bloat completely, can enable issues when trying to update. Just freeze them and if something ever comes up you can simply unfreeze and not have to wipe and reset your phone.
  21. gene_tattoo

gene_tattoo New Member

I removed bloatware app with Root Explorer too.
  22. mikekelso421

mikekelso421 Well-Known Member