After ROOT. Whats next?

Last Updated:

1. Saiyan_Prince

Saiyan_Prince Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So after you've rooted your phone. What do you guys do next? In what order? Do i make a nandroid back up? Do i need it? Get the ROM first and then add custom theme? I'm asking this question cuz im still new. I rooted my droid finally!!! And i installed BB 0.4. But it doesnt seem to be perfect. I'm not sure if its just the FROYO or what but, i can't change my ringer volume to LOUD, Vibrate and then to silent. It either can change to Volume up then to Vibrate with no silent. Or Volume up to silent. And Gallery takes forever to load. Havent installed any Kernels yet.

Advertisement
  2. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

As long as you have a backup of a working ROM, you can now go crazy and flash all the different ROM/kernel/theme combinations til you get tired and settle on one for about a week.

As far as order, you'd get the ROM > kernel [if ROM is 2.2 (FroYo) make sure you get a 2.2 (FroYo) kernel!!] > theme. Kernels and themes are optional, of course.

Also, some themes will be made specifically for certain ROMs, so pay attention to that. Others will be metamorph themes [MM], so you will need to download Metamorph from the market for those.

Finally, the vibrate/no silent mode is a 'feature' of FroYo, from what I can tell. I haven't seen a silent mode on any FroYo ROMs. One person noted it can be vibrate, but no silent, or silent, but no vibrate, but never both.

3. MiNdSnAkE

MiNdSnAkE Member

I use BB 0.4 as well(which I love! Cheers to Pete!!) and also cannot use the silent option, but I agree with supersaki that in the various ROM's I have installed I also notice it is either one or the other in regards to silent or vibrate option. Also wanted to note to start with the lower speed kernels recommended 800 and go from there to prevent possible failure. I personally do not have an issue with Gallery loading or any latency with my Droid.

4. Saiyan_Prince

Saiyan_Prince Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you do a backup?

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

check the guide to all things root related sticky. There are directions there.

6. MiNdSnAkE

MiNdSnAkE Member

If your using SPRecovery you would power down, the hold down X on the keyboard while powering the Droid back up. Navigate to the "backup/restore option, then you can choose a "Simple backup" or an "Advanced backup". I just do a simple backup just incase. ;)

7. MiNdSnAkE

MiNdSnAkE Member

OMJ's post will be the best to follow if you need the step by step's on all info.

8. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

After root, the next step is to achieve Nirvana.

9. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Before loading BB you should have made a backup at that point.

If you don't have a backup you should make one immediately. Did you wipe when before you installed BB? If not that may be why it is running slowly.

Regarding themes. My procedure is backup current ROM/wipe all data/flash new ROM/get all apps, etc. set up/make a backup/try out kernels/when one works make another backup/try out different themes

10. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Install an overclock kernal and get set cpu(select autodetect NOY Droid). Get titanium backup to backup ( if you get an error hit the problems button to install busybox again) your apps for when you flash a new rom.

11. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

lol .... and load up andwobble ... :p

12. neodemon

neodemon Member

Kangerade lets you set vibrate mode to several options: Always never, only in silent mode, only when not in silent mode. By default my phone had it set to only when not in silent.