• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root After rooting: sd-removed and USB issues

tedroden

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
I recently rooted my evo (using toast). I think it went well, but I'm having an issue where the phone doesn't see the SD card. It's telling me "SD card removed. Insert a new one." I've reseated it a few times and tried other cards, but I'm not having any luck. Reboot after reboot, I get the same message.

Also, when I plug it in to the computer via USB and try to access it via adb, it tells me there are no devices connected. If I do "adb devices" it doesn't list anything.

Other than those issues, the phone works just fine.

Thanks to pwabbit, this fixes it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695243

Hey guys. I came across this issue during the recovery process. I get the phone into fastboot, then then open a command window on my computer and type "fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' but my computer tells me "windows cannot find fastboot". I tried adding "adb" to the front to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of battery and cannot charge the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Well, thanks for absolutely nothing, everyone. Just in case any other noob comes across this issue and finds this thread first like I did, I'll add this to prevent someone from wasting hours of their time with something that had such a simple answer:

Make sure you have the Android SDK software installed on your computer before trying this. I, (being completely new at this) tried sending the commands to the phone by opening a command window and typing the commands straight up; which is why the phone was not responding. Once I installed Android SDK and the Java package, I was able to get both issues fixed in 10 minutes.

Please note that it is MUCH easier to put the two files needed to fix the USB on the memory card (using a card reader) once you have fixed the SD card issue. Fix the SD card first, then download ConnectBot, and put the two files (unzipped!) in your SD card. I followed deviousskater's post on the bottom of page 10 on thread on XDA, which were clearer (for me) to understand, and I got it fixed on the first try. Connectbot instructions are:

su "then press enter on keyboard"
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image "then press enter"
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img "then press enter"
chmod 755 /data/flash_image "then press enter"
/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img "then press enter"
reboot "then press enter" (this step did NOT work for me. I just powered down the phone normally by holding the power button, powered it back on normally, and as soon as I plugged it into my pc, it was immediately recognized and began to charge. Make sure to pay attention to all the spaces!)

Now that I have the SDk software installed, I am going to try performing the recovery using this software since I could not get the phone to read the "update.zip" file from the memory card no matter what I tried. While I understand this is for more advance users, I have no choice at this point since I already ran the PC36IMG file to root the phone. I've been at this for a week and have not able to get any customs roms installed yet because I cannot get past the recovery stage. :(

I hope this is helpful to someone; I know it would have helped me to have seen this and saved me hours of reading and worry.

Reactions: RichKidFresh
Upvote 0
Well, thanks for absolutely nothing, everyone. Just in case any other noob comes across this issue and finds this thread first like I did, I'll add this to prevent someone from wasting hours of their time with something that had such a simple answer:

Make sure you have the Android SDK software installed on your computer before trying this. I, (being completely new at this) tried sending the commands to the phone by opening a command window and typing the commands straight up; which is why the phone was not responding. Once I installed Android SDK and the Java package, I was able to get both issues fixed in 10 minutes.

Please note that it is MUCH easier to put the two files needed to fix the USB on the memory card (using a card reader) once you have fixed the SD card issue. Fix the SD card first, then download ConnectBot, and put the two files (unzipped!) in your SD card. I followed deviousskater's post on the bottom of page 10 on thread on XDA, which were clearer (for me) to understand, and I got it fixed on the first try. Connectbot instructions are:

su "then press enter on keyboard"
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image "then press enter"
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img "then press enter"
chmod 755 /data/flash_image "then press enter"
/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img "then press enter"
reboot "then press enter" (this step did NOT work for me. I just powered down the phone normally by holding the power button, powered it back on normally, and as soon as I plugged it into my pc, it was immediately recognized and began to charge. Make sure to pay attention to all the spaces!)

Now that I have the SDk software installed, I am going to try performing the recovery using this software since I could not get the phone to read the "update.zip" file from the memory card no matter what I tried. While I understand this is for more advance users, I have no choice at this point since I already ran the PC36IMG file to root the phone. I've been at this for a week and have not able to get any customs roms installed yet because I cannot get past the recovery stage. :(

I hope this is helpful to someone; I know it would have helped me to have seen this and saved me hours of reading and worry.
What's good bro? Did you flash a rom on to device yet. I have yet but thanks to you post I feel like I am making progress. Going from a WM device to Android is verry different. NW once again thanks for the post. Peace!

Upvote 0
What's good bro? Did you flash a rom on to device yet. I have yet but thanks to you post I feel like I am making progress. Going from a WM device to Android is verry different. NW once again thanks for the post. Peace!

Yea, actually I was able to figure it out. I am running a rooted stock rom for now, as a lot of the custom roms disable one thing or another that I want, so I'll wait for a good one. Right now, I'm just waiting for a bug-free rooted stock rom based on the new OTA update that was sent yesterday.

And yea, I know what you mean about switching over to Droid. I came over from BB, so so all this is new and sometimes overwhelming to me, too. Glad I was able to help at least one person out. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones