After Standby notification Preparing SD Card and apps restartSupport

Last Updated:

1. norkle

norkle Member This Topic's Starter

Android Version: 2.2
    Network: Telstra NextG
    Taskiller Used?: Advanced Task Cleaner installed but not normally used to kill/FC
    Are You rooted & which Rom: no - stock

Issue:

I recently updated my Desire to 2.2 (stock Telstra update) and quickly moved some apps to the SD card to free up some phone storage.

Since then I've noticed that after longer periods on standby (definitely hours - haven't worked out the lower limit yet), when I wake the Desire it notifies 'Preparing SD Card' and all the apps appear to have closed.

By the apps having closed I mean the weather widget has to load, my Agenda/schedule widget has to load, my Dolphin HD browser starts afresh, etc. I had moved Dolphin to the SD card but not the widgets. The experience is kind of like after startup, so i'm presuming its all apps, but it may not be all - its certainly more than just the apps on SD.

To be clear, the SD card does mount fine, and I've had no other indications of SD card problems before or after the Froyo upgrade.

I've seen reference to partitioning the SD card, but am not sure why I would do it or if it is relevant here.

Is this a known problem with moving apps to the SD card, or is it a known problem with the Desire 2.2 update? Is it just me?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Partitioning is not relevant here.

But, you may have a corruption on your sd.

Maybe wait for mount, move apps back to internal memory, backup data to pc and reformat?

3. norkle

Ok, I've managed to confirm that the apps that were restarting were only those that I had moved to the SD card. I've moved those apps back off the SD card (dropbox and dolphin) but I still get 'Preparing SD Card' after a long standby (eg. overnight on the charge).

Is anyone else getting 'Preparing SD Card' regularly after standby?

4. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

Not after standby, but I get it after switching the USB connection from "Disk drive" to "Charge only", which I assume is normal. I also experience it occasionally after copying some files to the SD card, which I assume isn't normal. It soon sorts itself out, though.

5. norkle

Well, it doesn't seem to be a corrupt SD card.

I have been able to verify that it isn't after standby, but after CHARGING, that insists on 'Preparing SD Card' after power is removed.

6. norkle

Finally discovered the cause of my problems.

I was using a third party AC USB charger, which had 2 symptoms while the Desire was charging: made the touchscreen go crazy (this occurred before the Froyo update) and unmounted the SD card (only after Froyo update).

Once I returned to the HTC charger, both problems disappeared.

However if I connect my Desire to a PC via USB (Charging only) the SD card also dismounts. So this behaviour may be related to Froyo - I have seen similar comments about this problem.