Aggressive ads

1. KingTei

KingTei Member

Hello everyone,

After updating my apps I'm being hounded by an ad that shows in my notifications list.

It has a plus green sign preceding the message "android upgrade ready. Free update. Install now. (opt out...)

When I tap it it loads on the web to adleadboltapp... then switches to lwken com /click/... then to get.batteryoptimise... It then downloads in my downloads with the name "batteryupgrade...dl trafficmanager net"

I decided to download it to see it I can install it once and for all. The app turns out to be called "batterysupercharger". I was able to uninstall it but the notification comes on my phone everytime I I turn my phone on.

Any ideas?

Please someone help. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
    :
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Get Addons Detector from Google Play and it will show you which apps have installed this nasty adware.
    KingTei and NickleJim like this.
  3. NZ_Nitro

NZ_Nitro Well-Known Member

this is AIRPUSH again by the sound of it, use a detector give the app a bad rating and delete
  4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I do this if I ever find airpush apps on my device. Not only do I give a 1* rating, leave a comment letting others know about the spam, and uninstall the app, but I also email the dev and let them know that since they support spamming the notification bar I will not ever download another app from them and I will discourage others from using their apps also. Then I follow through with discouraging others from using their apps.

I have actually had a couple devs send me an ad free version of their app because of the email, but I email them back and tell them thanks but no thanks. They support spam so I can not support their apps.
  5. mills2533

mills2533 Well-Known Member

In that case, why don't you purchase the ad free version of the app?

KingTei likes this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I believe his point is more ideological than one of convenience. By purchasing an app from a developer that includes what many to believe malicious adware in their free apps, you are both condoning the practice and reinforcing that this type of "ransomeware" is effective.

I have to agree. If there are alternatives to the app that I want, then I'd much rather support a developer who respects their customers.
  7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Ditto. If I ever ended up with notification ads, I'd handle it the same way (negative feedback, public discouraging, etc), and I've encouraged others who have gotten them to do the same. Heck, once I'd found out which app it was, I'd start a thread warning others to avoid it as well, and include the link in my email to the Dev. The fact that these types of ads are used at all is onerous enough. Devs really need to know that notification ads are completely unacceptable.
    KingTei likes this.
  8. chrlswltrs

Exactly. I basically boycot the developer all together, even if they have other free apps that do not use airpush. For me it is a matter of principle.
    KingTei and Seanette like this.
  9. scythefwd

scythefwd Well-Known Member

maybe we can get a stickey done with devs that use airpush? Would let the whole community know who the scumbags are.
    KingTei likes this.
  10. chrlswltrs

While I wouldn't mind seeing something like this we also have to look at the other side. A developer may change their mind and remove airpush after they see how much people hate it. It should be common sense, but as everyone should know common sense isn't very common.

I think a sticky list would be difficult to maintain, and I personally do not think a list of developers who use airpush should be a sticky. There are usually threads that pop up on here about particular apps that use airpush.

If a Mod has a different view they may want to take your suggestions, but IMO it is just a little outside the scope of what we try to do here.
    KingTei likes this.
  11. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I think a Sticky is a great idea, *IF* it's kept current. As Devs and apps are food to use this technique, they go on the "wall of shame". If they stop, they should be removed.
    KingTei likes this.
  12. KingTei

KingTei Member

GUYS! Thanks so much for everyone's input.

Addons detector did find the pervasive app. It's called AROUNDME WORLD. It was the least I expected and I'd deleted other apps thinking they were the culprit. I've read the awful reviews that others left.

I agree that we sticky note developers who surreptitiously force these ads through.
  13. rayburn

rayburn New Member

Thanks for this thread, I installed Addons Detector and found the app that was downloading spam and putting a 'search' icon on my home page.
  14. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

I just installed the Superpages app (was getting frustrated with YP), which is similar to the AroundMe World app. I'm really starting to like this one! I uninstall and avoid anything with Airpush scumware in it.
  15. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

If your on 4.0 you can kill background data for the app in question and it'll stop the ads in their tracks. I'd still rate the app accordingly.