• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ahh, the joys of rooting

Heh - you just gave me a great idea for a live WP - an App I used to use would DL and change your DT WP to your local radar look, or else to many other weather maps / images from the US and around the world. Those images are 'kinda' large, but it shouldn't be too hard to crop them to fit the DROID's screen size.

If I were to use Wundergound's 6-image set for making animated WPs, I could (conceivably) create a looping animated radar WP for any location, based upon imagery from a variety of sources (as long as I can get he imagery - that is gonna be the tricky party - I have heard that a lot of weather sites charge for direct data access, but not sure about imagery access yet).

Imaging, having your DT WP be a looping radar view of the current conditions where you are at....

To keep it simple, I'd probably not include any sort of image caching beyond the current images, and as new were downloaded old would be deleted.

This could easily be extended to satellite imagery of your location, as well as other types of maps as well....

OK, time to patent the idea before anyone here decides to develop the app and scoop me.... :D

Upvote 0
Heh - you just gave me a great idea for a live WP - an App I used to use would DL and change your DT WP to your local radar look, or else to many other weather maps / images from the US and around the world. Those images are 'kinda' large, but it shouldn't be too hard to crop them to fit the DROID's screen size.

If I were to use Wundergound's 6-image set for making animated WPs, I could (conceivably) create a looping animated radar WP for any location, based upon imagery from a variety of sources (as long as I can get he imagery - that is gonna be the tricky party - I have heard that a lot of weather sites charge for direct data access, but not sure about imagery access yet).

Imaging, having your DT WP be a looping radar view of the current conditions where you are at....

To keep it simple, I'd probably not include any sort of image caching beyond the current images, and as new were downloaded old would be deleted.

This could easily be extended to satellite imagery of your location, as well as other types of maps as well....

OK, time to patent the idea before anyone here decides to develop the app and scoop me.... :D

dude i've been waiting for something like that forevvvveeerrrrr

Upvote 0
Was just talking to alostpacket via GTalk as well, he says go for it too.

Hardest, methinks, is gonna be finding good quality images that can show your location as opposed to showing a location centered on a local weather radar....

Second hardest is gonna be the looping for the radar images. Well, after cropping said images so they meet the screen standard....

Upvote 0
Was just talking to alostpacket via GTalk as well, he says go for it too.

Hardest, methinks, is gonna be finding good quality images that can show your location as opposed to showing a location centered on a local weather radar....

Second hardest is gonna be the looping for the radar images. Well, after cropping said images so they meet the screen standard....

good point, i'm going to do a little research myself

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones