AHHH! phone froze during backup, what do i do?

1. phillipjacks

phillipjacks Member

so i just told my GF's phone to do a backup with ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6 i forgot to check to make sure her SD card wasn't full of music... app loaded to start the backup, notified me that there was only 11mb on the card and that it may not be enough free space to complete backup, but continued without me having a chance to stop it. i didnt want to turn off or anything cause i thought that may mess things up. so i let it go. it got through backing up system, but when it was backing up data, it came up with "Error while making a backup image of /data!" and its frozen. what do i do? i dont wanna mess things up worse, but i need to do something. if i pull the battery will it brick? should i push the power button? or what?

sorry if this is a dumb question, just thought i'd ask before i break something.

phone is a Motorola Droid 3 originally on Verizon Network. Had it rooted and flashed over to MetroPCS

Advertisement
  2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

No, pull the battery, it'll be fine. Reboot into Android, clear out the SD card, or put in a different SD card, go back into recovery and try the backup again.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry for the woes!

Power down or a battery pull shouldn't brick it.

The SD card, at worst, may be corrupted, but you can connect to a PC, delete the last backup and let Windows repair it.
  4. phillipjacks

phillipjacks Member

ok, thank you. i pulled battery, and replaced. it booted right into android.

however, i plugged in the usb cable so i could take some music off her sd card to free up space, and nothing happens. the phone isn't connecting via usb. last i had it connected was just about an hour ago and i left it in PC mode cause i was switching her to a different PRL via QPST. any clue to this usb issue?
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Pull down the notification bar, see if you have a USB symbol that says it's charging - tap to select disk drive mode.

If all else fails, you'll need to pull the SD card and plug directly into the PC, perhaps with a USB dongle for that - but let's try other steps first.
  6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

7. phillipjacks

phillipjacks Member

thanks guys, i figured it out. tried a different usb cord. that one musta been going bad...... i have some other questions posted in other threads is you can answer them :)