AIM, MSN...YAHOO...considered SMS's??? What da hell?General

Last Updated:

1. jucadroid

jucadroid New Member This Topic's Starter

I was reading one of the reviews on the g1 and this guy was saying that the only true instant messaging application as out of the box....is Google talk...the other ones , AIM, MSN, and YAHOO are gonna be considered sms's what kinda bs is this TMOBILE??? Arent those supposed to me INSTANT MESSAGING SERVICES???? I cannot believe this....it is a suuuper deal breaker for me. I pay $140 for my service so i can have unlimited everything ....$150???? Give me a break TMOBILE

Advertisement
  2. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

it has been like that. i have been using the T-Mobile SDA and been using AIM/Yahoo and it counted as SMS. now I have unlimited txt'ing and don't worry about it since I go over 2k per month

3. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

Not really surprising. Same thing as on the Dash.

If you have unlimited everything, then there's no problem, is there? "Everything" should include messaging.

Hopefully you have at least one other person on your plan at that rate. I pay WAY less than that for my wife and I to have Family MyFaves (no m2m), inet & email, 400 msgs each, 700 minutes.

4. jucadroid

jucadroid New Member This Topic's Starter

Do you think that they can come up with a 3rd party application that could give us support for instant messaging for AIM, YAHOO and MSN through the data service?

5. cmaceachen

cmaceachen Member

This is the way it was with the iphone for a while until enough people ended up with huge bills they weren't expecting.

As for a workaround, I imagine someone will release an app that uses gtalk for those other services as well. It's currently possible to do with the desktop gtalk app. Shouldn't be much harder to do on android.

6. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

It has NOTHING to do with Tmobile, its how the IM programs were contstructed - bitch at google. ITs using the SMS gatewat to tunnel the IMs to the application. MOST IM programs do this, with the exception of the sidekick, and most news phones. Wait.. isnt this 2008? :)

7. justihar

justihar Member

Take in to consideration that SMS is a reliable protocol. It'll work where data will not work and the reason it has been untouched for so many years is that it doesn't need to be. Let's go back to the old saying, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." I've personally found data based IM to be less reliable than SMS and also consume more battery power. At the same time there will definitely be the option to grab a 3rd party application that will allow data IM (mentioned previously in this thread).

8. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

If SMS weren't the highest cost data transmission method available (artificially, of course), that would be fine, but it is so it's not fine at all. It is broken.

9. justihar

justihar Member

It's not broken... and who doesn't have an unlimited text message plan these days? What is it... $25 for data + text and an extra $10 for unlimited text messaging? SMS is simple and inexpensive.

10. xtina

xtina Member

haha as long as it has my aim im happy :)

11. pestilence

You don't think it's ******ed that you've got unlimited data and you still have to pay 10 bucks a month extra to avoid being ass-raped for IM?

You're broken.

12. justihar

justihar Member

No... I think Verizon and AT&T's Data and TXT message plan is ridiculous. Anyhow, I've provided my 2 cents on this subject. The messaging services using TXT messages is hardly anything to be upset about and definitely not a deal breaker.

BTW, as far as I know it's been like this for all the phones except with the MSN messenger service on Windows Mobile phones.

13. pestilence

Oh it's by no means a deal breaker, I don't and probably still wont IM from my phone, but the design is bad and only there to make the carriers extra cash.

Fortunately, there's nothing stopping anyone from porting Pidgin or something to android and sidestepping the whole issue.

14. spasg1

spasg1 Member

coming from "sidekick nation" since 05, it might or it might not be a big deal for me, depending on the reliability, which already has negative reviews. I'm hoping someone develops an aim app that relies on data.

15. Siflan

Siflan Well-Known Member

Just give it some time. I'm sure there'll be some type of app out for multi-messengers.

16. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

I suppose its the way the data is transferred. I'm guessing since its charged as an SMS the process is acting like an SMS. Perhaps T-Mobile could bundle the $10 into the "Unlimited Data" but they'd still have to charge $10 more for that package.

That being said, you CAN access AIM from GTalk these days so I agree with what someone else said that the G1 should somehow have this "problem" fixed with an update.

But if not... the beauty of Open Source... someone will probably make an application - possibly AIM themselves - that handles Instant Messages as a regular data feature and not as an SMS.

We'll see... but its an interesting point to bring up. By the way, where was the original review where you read this?

17. killer3160

killer3160 Well-Known Member

does anyone know if u go to meebo.com on ur g1 will it be free to send IM from there site or will t-mobile charge us?

18. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I believe the market has one, I've seen it before and never used it.

Funny, because awhile back when I had no data plan I was looking for an IM client for WinMo that worked on SMS, not data, and I could not find one.

19. g1mp

g1mp Member

if i'm not mistaken, that client called IM+ in the market doesn't use your SMS messages. I could be wrong though, but I've been with T-Mo for years, and back when I had a crackberry several years ago, i recall using that client as a work around to the SMS usage.

20. STORM3333

STORM3333 Well-Known Member

i was thinking the same thing

21. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

what about meebo. I do believe the new meebo program from the android marketplace doesn't use SMS either right

22. Zinzi

Zinzi Well-Known Member

What I'd like is digsby to release some sort of app for android. I use digsby on all of my computers anyway so it'd be awesome if they did something for my phone.

23. Fremen93

Fremen93 Member

I tried out meebo, and its not a useful alternative just yet..but maybe soon!
    It does not use SMS, so that's great..but whenever the phone locks (after timeout) it closes the meebo app! So then you have to retype in your login details.

24. mguthrie

mguthrie Member

you guys seriously need to quit your bitchin every other company does the same thing. Its not googles fault that companies dont program their stuff the way you want. If you dont like it dont use it.

25. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Nice post.

Things rarely change if people don't bitch about it.