• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AirPlay - equivalent android

fontburn

Apr 23, 2010
Hi,
This may seem a bit strange but thought this was the best places to ask.

We have made a large investment in Android here at our school (about 1000 devices) but staff seem increasing impressed with the Apple Ipad + Apple TV setup.

What they want to do is a way to show the Android tablet screen wireless on a projector. The apple setup is very slick at just showing what is displayed on the screen.

Any idea? Not too bothered about the cost but it seems strange the Google dont do something on par with the Apple TV.

DLNA will let you share stored photos and videos, Apple Airplay will share live sources such as Safari pages.

I think that's not DLNA, sounds more like a wireless HDMI, as found with the AllShare HDMI adapter for the top end SGS3 or Media Link HD on the HTC One X phones.

Those devices, just as with Apple TV, work because there's a link at the tv made by the same manufacturer. Unlike DLNA, those use proprietary interfaces.

If your tablets don't have DLNA built-in, the iMediaShare app will give it to you. Most newer tv sets include it, or you can find standard receiver boxes for it.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Samsung Galaxy 7" Tabs, Samsung Galaxy 10" Tabs and Samsung Galaxy 2 Tabs 7".

They dont want to tether the devices via cable. The Apple solution allows the Ipad to show almost anything on the TV/Screen using an Apple TV wireless.

Read Google TV is going to get something similar but that just looks like a way for sending Youtube links to the GoogleTV box. not much use to our teachers.

Upvote 0
Yeah don't think DNLA is what I need.

What the teachers have been shown is the Ipad displaying a web page, editing documents and manipulating photos live on the projectors.

Its all very fancy but just goes against our policy for unification and openness

I love that last sentiment ... the open-source aspects.

I was looking yesterday at Best AirPlay apps for Android - Features - Know Your Mobile for such an app to interface with Apple's presence, and see a couple that might meet my need, if I understand better how the friends' setups are configured ... they sure don't; someone else gets paid to come into their houses, set up the Airplay stuff with their phones and PCs, and they don't even know the encryption pass-phrases.

Do we understand correctly that your facility has no wireless video setup yet? Of course you'll need something "open" that will allow any authorized user in the audience to display their content on the screen, regardless of iOS or Android. Other contenders will appear in the future, but right now those two are setting the stage ... others will follow, so openness is critical to any long-term investment such as a school might make.

That's the only help I can offer at this time ... it sounds like others know enough to help you more, but I'd (we'd, I'm sure) really appreciate knowing how your project evolves.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones