• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

airvana installation

i switched to sprint from t-mobile for the evo in june. i love everything about the phone, but the service is just horrible. the building penetration is unbelievably poor. i live in the denver tech center and the coverage map says i should get great service, but inside my apartment/work/almost any building, i dont. i went to a sprint store, tested the radios, and did all the other stuff required to get a free airave and i finally received an airvana in the mail friday. unfortunately, i have had no luck trying to set it up.

my biggest problem is that i get no service in my apartment so calling customer service during set up is impossible. i was hoping someone could help trouble shoot my problem.

i have a motorola modem, comcast high speed internet service, and a 1 month old linksys e1000 router. since my modem only has one ethernet port, i was told to connect my the ethernet cable straight from the modem to the airvana and then use another ethernet cable to connect the airvana to the router.

this does not work. my internet goes down and has the error "DNS is not responding" and after several 2 hour, 1, hour and 4 hour attempts - the mobile light always flashes amber and my internet stops working (which my roommate and i cannot deal with).

i really like my phone and can tolerate poor reception at work, but i need service at home. i am extremely frustrated and on the verge of leaving sprint. can anyone help?

Sorry I need some clarification. I have the ethernet cable from the modem going into the wan port on the airvana. And then another from the lan port on airvana to the router.

Airvana? Didn't think those were out yet. That said, I think you should call Sprint Technical CS so they can walk you through the setup, activation, and testing while you're on the phone.

Usually you'd need to have your cable line connect first the cable modem, then other devices (including the Airvana) connected through one of the ports on the router. Introducing devices before the router can work, but often it does create signal transmission problems since many devices aren't meant to route signals before a router.

You should just call Sprint to confirm that setting up as cable line to cable modem to wireless router to Airvana is the right way.

Upvote 0
Sorry I need some clarification. I have the ethernet cable from the modem going into the wan port on the airvana. And then another from the lan port on airvana to the router.

I had the same problem hooking my Airvana up. I had to find a window that would put any sort of signal on my phone by moving my phone around and then move the little attachable GPS to that window (I have it hooked up to the wall with tape). It finally found a signal and started working overnight. Give it longer than the "up to 2 hours" the instructions say.

I also had no bars in my new home but when I woke up after I hooked it up, it was finally connected and working properly. I have mine plugged directly in the router. Sprint tried to tell me to plug it directly into the modem, then plug my computer/router into my Airvana and that wouldn't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones