• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help AKO Webmail Setup

Eris: regardless of what asics says; what I would try is any imap capable email client. I'm not sure if the Droid X has one built in or not (my wife owns the DX, I'm just her tech support). The help link on AKO's sign-in page is fairly useful. Just help search the word: imap. It tells you how to configure Outlook which you can translate to your DX imap client.

Upvote 0
here you go:

to recieve:

username: first.last
password: your ako password
imap server: imap.us.army.mil
security: SSL (always)
authenication: plain
port: 993

hit next it should take you to the send portion

the out going setting as follows:

smpt server: mailrouter.us.army.mil
port: 445
authentication: plan
username first name. last name @us.army.mil
password: your AKO password

hit next and it should complete the registration.

good luck..

SPC Molina

asics4831 it shows how narrow minded you are...i hope your not in the military...you never know maybe an army battle will be the one to get your @$$ out to safety...

Reactions: prkns7
Upvote 0
here you go:

to recieve:

port: 993

port: 445
username first name. last name @us.army.mil

good luck..

SPC Molina

The above was helpful. The below was not.

asics4831 it shows how narrow minded you are...i hope your not in the military...you never know maybe an army battle will be the one to get your @$$ out to safety...

Upvote 0
I am having issues getting this to work with my droid x. I am able to configure most of the IMAP settings but there are only two boxes to check after server, port, name and pw. These are "Use secure connection" and "Verify Certificate", both of which I have checked. I always receive and "Invalid server certificate" error. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I am having issues getting this to work with my droid x. I am able to configure most of the IMAP settings but there are only two boxes to check after server, port, name and pw. These are "Use secure connection" and "Verify Certificate", both of which I have checked. I always receive and "Invalid server certificate" error. Any ideas?

I was having the same problem with AKO's instructions -- they have no relation to the actual menus on the phone. When people say "select SSL" that seems to mean the droid's menu item of "Use Secure Connection."

Per the other post, try turning off the "Verify Certificate." No one trusts the US government as a certificate authority, which is why you get the same "invalid certificate" error when you go to most government web sites unless you install the DoD Root certificates (and I'm not sure how to do that on a phone).

Note also that the incoming settings (IMAP) require your userid, not your full email address. That was enough for me to start getting incoming mail from AKO on the Droid X.

For outgoing mail, the instructions above mention using the full email address instead of just the userid. I tried it both ways, and neither works for sending mail. So...half a solution thus far.

Upvote 0
here you go:

to recieve:

port: 993 change to 995

port: 445 change to 465
username first name. last name @us.army.mil don't include this portion

good luck..

SPC Molina

SPC Molina had it almost right these minor changes should have you sending and recieving in no time

Good Luck all:D

Upvote 0
I have a Droid X2 running version 2.3.3. The Android Forum has great information and got me "in the ballpark" but I still had some challenges. The main one being that SSL security was not an option - only TLS.

I believe that most of the posts in this forum have helped based on each persons setup, here is what worked for me:

Incoming Server:
Server - imap.us.army.mail
User Name - first.last (leave off the @us.army.mil)
Password - enter your AKO password

Advanced Settings:
Port - 993
Check the "Use secure connection" box
Use secure password (TLS) - Select Never*
Uncheck "View Certificate"

OK - you are complete with incoming.

*MY MAIN PROBLEM...it defaults to "Use secure password (TLS)"... the was not a SSL option. I have a drop down with three options; Never, Auto and Always.

Outgoing Server:
SMTP Server - mailrouter.us.army.mail
User Name - first.last (leave off the @us.army.mil)
Password - enter your AKO password

Advanced Settings:
Port - 465
Check the "Use secure connection" box
Use secure password (TLS) - Select Never (SAME AS ABOVE)
Authentication - drop down, select Auto
Uncheck "View Certificate"

OK - you are complete with outgoing.

I hope this helps and thanks to everyone who contributes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones