• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alarm clock app can't wake up in the morning!

android001

Jun 18, 2011
I am using samsung galaxy J5, 2015. I just got it and have tried several alarm clock app. They all have one problem. When I set them to vibrate (sound off) in the morning, they don't do anything. Until I use the cell phone (swipe the screen) first thing in the morning, then they start to vibrate! They can't wake up in the morning! But this problem happens to several app already. I haven't found one that doesn't have this problem. I think maybe this cell phone has some sort of restrictions or it's defect? Like some cell phone has sleep mode? I already disable the "Do not disturb" mode.

There are some other minor problem, like I want sound off and vibrate only, but one app just has both sound and vibration on anyway, even when I already turn off the system sound, media sound, and the individual sound for this app. But this is minor. One problem at a time. Does anyone know what is going on? " This cell phone come with default clock that has alarm clock function but it is too simple. It doesn't have repeat, doesn't have sound off and vibration only, doesn't have "no snooze, just auto dismiss." According to gsmarena.com, it is running on "Android OS, v5.1 (Lollipop). I have not upgrade it so it should be.

Alarm Clock Plus is what I settled on.
That is the one I said "I want sound off and vibrate only, but one app just has both sound and vibration on anyway, even when I already turn off the system sound, media sound, and the individual sound for this app."

Any idea about how to solve this or recommendations of good alarm clock app is welcome!

Upvote 0
If you are in marshmallow, make sure your alarm clock app is excluded from battery optimization (related to doze). Otherwise doze will mess with your alarm clock .

Android Settings / Apps / tap gear icon (upper right) / battery optimization / tap on your alarm app (if you don't see your app then it I'd only displaying not optimized apps do then tap "not optimized" and change it to"all apps")
Tap on your app and change it to not optimized.

Upvote 0
If you are in marshmallow, make sure your alarm clock app is excluded from battery optimization (related to doze). Otherwise doze will mess with your alarm clock .
That fix the problem that alarm clock can't wake up in the morning. Thanks! By the way, this phone is running on Android Lollipop. But alarm clock plus app still goes off with sound and vibration even when I turn off the sound. Guess I will look for another alarm clock app then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones