• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alarm clock does not work when the phone is off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an old at&t pantech link 7040 phone i had set the alarm to go off every day at 4:30 am except sunday. I could completely kill the battery to were the phone wouldnt turn on then plug it in so it could charge. it would turn itself on set off the alarm then ask if you wanted it to stay on or turn off again. If i could find an app like that it would be great.

Upvote 0
You can't do that with an app. The app only works if the phone is running Android, and if it's off then the OS isn't running, and hence neither is the app.

If you have hardware which supports such a feature then an app can set it. But that's a different matter. If your phone doesn't have something built into it to support this feature then no android app can add it.

Upvote 0
I set two alarms, turn off the phone, waited, nothing happened. Did it when the phone was on, alarm went off. Did it in flight mode, alarm went off. So the alarm can't resurrect the phone when its off completely or is it just me?

I understand your question. Even my awful blackberry turned on from being completely powered down when the alarm kicked on. But every new phone I've had since doesn't. Gotta keep a charger nearby

Upvote 0
I have this phone for a while, so I got used to this involution, I keep it on, during the night while charging. One day the battery discharged and my phone went off, I've connected it to charge and thought to turn it on later, but I forgot, so my alarm didn't ring next morning :( . I'm not expecting for a solution, as it has been said, a solution doesn't exist, I just wish that the phone manufacturers would keep this in mind for the future, it can't be too complicated to be done.

Upvote 0
Of all the messages there is no solution?
I was late to work the other day just because I didn't check my battery in the evening and it depleted during the night so the alarm didn't ring in the morning. Honestly, I haven't expected that as my last phone was a Nokia which would turn on when the alarm was set to ring.
So I guess I will have to keep an eye on the battery and make sure it is charged for the night. Lame!

Upvote 0
Of all the messages there is no solution?
I was late to work the other day just because I didn't check my battery in the evening and it depleted during the night so the alarm didn't ring in the morning. Honestly, I haven't expected that as my last phone was a Nokia which would turn on when the alarm was set to ring.
So I guess I will have to keep an eye on the battery and make sure it is charged for the night. Lame!

Even if the device did have the ability to sound alarms when power is off (which it does not, and neither do almost every other Android-based smartphone for that matter), if your battery depletes overnight, how the hell do you expect it to fire the alarm off????

Whoever gets around this little "design flaw" would become a billionaire overnight!

Last edited:
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Even if the device did have the ability to sound alarms when power is off (which it does not, and neither do almost every other Android-based smartphone for that matter), if your battery depletes overnight, how the hell do you expect it to fire the alarm off????

Whoever gets around this little "design flaw" would become a billionaire overnight!

OK lads, I think I've cracked the flat battery and no alarm going off, problem... get ready with a cheque... made out to the, "ironass Drinking Fund for Fallen Women"...

Upvote 0
I got it. Smartphones are not that smart. As I said in my previous post, my old Nokia would ring the alarm even if it was turned off (battery depleted). So I guess it is not such a rocket science. If it was done once maybe it can be done again. I don't know much about phones so don't try explaining the technical reasons why that is not possible. Whatever

Upvote 0
If the alarm went off on your Nokia then obviously the battery wasnt depleted, at least not fully, which is the extent your S2's battery is at when it shuts itself off.
I suppose you're now going to tell me the alarm still went off if you took out the battery? :)

But seriously, going on your information, it seems therefore that your old Nokia would shut down when there is still power left in the battery.
I suppose there would have been times that feature would have be a PITA and you wished you had another few minutes of being able to use it, as would be the case on your S2. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Anyway, on every Android phone I have tried, none of them would sound the alarm after power-down. There would be too much that needs to be going on for Android to keep continually functioning whilst in this "off" state, and the battery would regularly discharge fully, which is never a recommended thing to do on L-ion batteries (as industry advice is usually to recharge when it gets to 10%)

Last edited:
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
People who wants the alarm to sound when their Android smartphone is powered OFF should go for one of the Chinese brands. Most of them have enabled this most useful feature in their Android offerings. My Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 will happily wake up from a totally powered-off state, sound the alarm at the preset time and then power off again immediately.

That's how it worked with ALL Symbian phones, whether dumb phones or smartphones, that's how Blackberry used to work and that's how modern smartphones should work! Hear Samsung and Apple!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones