Alarm clock on HTC desire does not workSupport

Last Updated:

1. footwo

footwo New Member This Topic's Starter

OK let me clarify, it does work, but only if I am actively using the phone.

If I set my alarm then hit the power button to turn the screen off, or even just allow the screen to timeout and turn off, then the alarm fails to go off.

This is REALLY annoying as it renders the entire alarm feature completely useless!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Advertisement
  2. drovers

drovers Member

I've had a similar problem, set alarm to go off this morning as a tester and it didn't go off, bearing in mind I switched the phone off thinking it would operate the same as my n95.

3. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

Are you using a taskiller? The most common cause for missed alarms is killing the clock app.

CharlieCharlie, gie62001 and lekky like this.
  4. mobilephone2003

mobilephone2003 Member

I was almost late for work twice because of this. I thought it might have been because I used the task killer to kill the clock accidentally. My calendar woke me up instead.

I set it for one minute from now and it went off with the screen locked.

5. footwo

footwo New Member This Topic's Starter

Right, it was a task killing app that was doing it. I suspected this was the case and I made sure that the clock app was not being killed but the alarm still failed to go off. As soon as I uninstalled all my task management apps it works fine...

Weird!

Thanks for the advice :)

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Task killer is to blame for 99.9% of alarm failures!

7. meemaw

meemaw Member

My alarm worked fine this morning with the screen locked.

8. PJD

PJD Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Advanced Task Manager v4.0 and Advanced Task Killer v 1.7.6 there appears to be to downloadable programs very confusing

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They are just different apps, but both task managers i think. Why not download them both and see which you prefer?

10. dlemma

dlemma Member

Hi, I've got my desire since last week.
    I have the same problem with alarm clock.
    If the phone is switched off, it does not work at all.
    And keeping the phone on (with the screen locked) I've missed the alarm already twice in the past days.

I have installed Advanced Task Killer, but have disabled it from autostarting (so I run it only when I need to kill an app, then kill also the Task killer itself) and have also added the "clock" application in the ignore list.

Could anyone provide advice on this?

11. ElJudge

ElJudge Member

Further to this: without task killers installed, should the alarm turn-on the phone to do it's thing, if I turn it off during the night? I want to switch the phone off during the night, but still have the alarm work, and last night when I tried...it failed!

foxyhtcfi likes this.
  12. dlemma

dlemma Member

I've actually tried also before installing Advance Task killer.
    If the phone is switched off, the alarm will not got off.
    And this is a step back in the past, considering that any crappy 30$ phone would be able instead to properly manage the alarm even with the phone switched off!!!

13. jaspabt1

jaspabt1 Well-Known Member

out of curiosity why do people switch their phones off at night?
    I always have mine on, if i dont want to be disturbed then i switch oto airplane mode or put the ohone on silent.
    The alarm does not work if the phone is switched off, this could change in the future with an update maybe, not sure what the restrictions are for this

14. dlemma

dlemma Member

The reason why I switch the phone off is simply because I do not need it while I'm sleeping, and this helps saving battery.

However, the problem permains even when the phone is switched on: tonight and 2 days ago the alarm didn't go off.

15. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

If you are using a task killer then that is your problem. Task killers and the clock app don't mix.

It defeats me why people feel the need to over use task killers with the Desire. I have seen no benefit at all other than the occasional ending of a specific task.

With previous phones/Android versions they were a necessary evil to keep your phone running smoothly, with the Desire killing all tasks only causes problems that lead to threads like this one.

16. brownie1111

brownie1111 Member

It's obvious it is a third party app causing this problem, nothing is wrong with the phone. Each night, I hit the power button to turn off the screen, and each morning my phone wakes itself up and sounds it's alarm, no problems. Note I have no task killer app installed.

Corra13 likes this.
  17. Case

Case Well-Known Member

+1

Corra13 likes this.
  18. channelsurfer

channelsurfer Well-Known Member

+2

19. dlemma

dlemma Member

Adding also a +3 and +4 won't help, the problem stays there anyhow.:mad:

1) If the phone is switched off the alarm does not go off. Even without having any app killer installed nor running. This is a feature that is available on any phone, even the more crappy, but apparently not on my 600$ Desire.

2) If the phone is switched on and the app killer is not running, sometime the alarm works and some other it doesn't. Again, I've installed the app killer, but I don't let it run (I run it only if I need to kill a specific app and then kill it) and to be sure I've added the "Clock" app to the ignore list.

Any clue what it could be? Is there a way I can make the alarm work even when the phone is off?

Thanks for your help.

20. jaspabt1

the alarm cant work without the phone being on at present. Maybe a future update, i dont know. If your alarm is not working withtask killers off etc then id suggest you raise the fault with your network provider and get a replacement phone

dlemma likes this.
  21. dlemma

dlemma Member

That's what I was thinking about.
    I'm going to try a few more days (this time having also a backup alarm clock) and see how it's going to work.

So, concerning the alarm working with the phone switched off there is no way unless HTC itself upgrades the firmware/ROM?

Thanks

22. jaspabt1

yes thats correct. Although i do not know for sure whether a rom update would work. unfortunately my technical knowledge doesnt stretch that far.

Just to add, I have taskkiller free on my android and it does not affect the alarm.

23. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

HTC for some reason do not include allowing the alarm to go off when the phone is turned off. Personally I think it must be to do with something like they do not expect it to ever be switched off. Just do what i do and put it on charge every night before you sleep.

24. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

not only HTC i think all android phones don't allow alarm when the phone is off (correct me if i'm wrong). however i really hope that one day they do that as normally i use my old nokia N73 as alarm :) (shame) as i know for sure whatever happens (even when battery is dead) it will go off

25. dlemma

dlemma Member

I'm not 100% sure, but some months ago I had a G1 with Android 1.6 for a couple of days "testing" and if my memory serves me well it was possible to setup an alarm that was going off even when the phone was switched off. :(