Alarm clock questions re: phone dies during nightSupport

Last Updated:

1. neverender

neverender Active Member This Topic's Starter

On my old BB when the phone was off/died during the night, it would turn on and go off if the alarm was set.

It doesn't seem like the INC does that. Is there an app or something that will turn the phone on so the alarm goes off if somehow the phone shuts down?

I use my phone as my alarm every morning, and I need it to go off, even if the phone is off/battery dies during the night.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. DPDAndroid

DPDAndroid Well-Known Member

Huh? How is that even possible? If your BB died....it DIED!

I'm going out on a limb here, gonna say if the DI battery dies......it's NOT going to turn on just for your alarm......could be wrong though!

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain Android will not power on for an alarm.

I would just get used to plugging the phone in every night. You are going to have a hard time stretching the use out over several days without charging it anyway. These phones are far more powerful than Blackberries and therefore draw a lot more power.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

There was a huge debate over this exact issue when the Droid came out, and YES a Blackberry WILL turn on to ring the alarm. It has some type of reserve set so when the battery gets low enough it will turn the phone off but still keep enough juice to set off the alarm using a internal clock.

The Inc will not do this, sorry.

5. DPDAndroid

DPDAndroid Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm......never heard of this......stand corrected!

6. CRPercodani

I didn't believe it either haha. Ended up testing it on my mom's pearl and boss' storm to find out it is true.

7. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go into a Verizon store tonight and make a big stink about this. Unacceptable.

8. edge27

edge27 Member

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I didnt want to start a new one. How do you make a song stored on the phone into an alarm? I selected "use as ringtone" on the song or whatever but it doesnt seem to show up when i go to select an alarm sound still :/

9. CRPercodani

If your joking...haha, if not, Verizon has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. HTC and Google are the ones you should be "making a big stink" at.

10. CRPercodani

On your sd card make folders in this path

/media/audio/alarms

It should show up then, if not try

/media/audio/notifications

Hope that helps.

11. WizeGuyDezignz

Haha, I'm totally joking! I just wanted to throw out some sarcasm to the people who are actually acting like this since the Inc has come out. LOL. :p

12. CRPercodani

LMAO, you got me with that....damn it!

13. WizeGuyDezignz

;) I think I've seen it all on this forum since I've been a member. The things people complain about are absolutely mind boggling. I'm not talking about this thread by the way.

14. CRPercodani

Yea, it is a little bit hectic. It was the same when the Droid came out though. I've been with Android since the G1 launched so I've gotten use to the questions. A lot of users here are completely new to Android and smartphones in general. Compared to a BB or iPhone the Inc has a very steep learning curve. If you come from WinMo it's pretty easy though.

What everyone needs to realize is there will always be trade offs from one platform to the next. If one phone could do EVERYTHING all the other phones do combined then things would get pretty boring for new development.

15. jpallen77

jpallen77 Well-Known Member

This forum would lose about 75% of its posts and users if they included an instruction manual in the box.:rolleyes:

16. neverender

neverender Active Member This Topic's Starter

This was such an amazing feature. No matter where I ended up, I could always count on my alarm. Be it a friend's couch or my girlfriend's place.

There must be some app that can "reserve" some juice or something...

17. CRPercodani

There isn't. It isn't something a simple app could do, it relies on some extremely LOW level hardware communication. Even with root access we can't make it happen. The other thing is RIM makes it's own hardware so it can be sure they all have control over the battery that's required for something like this to work. Android doesn't have this luxury.

18. edge27

edge27 Member

CRPercodani, thanks for the response. I did this, but still when i select "Alarm sound", it only comes up with a list of bullet options such as "Beeps Classic Light Positive", etc. :/
    Thanks again!

19. CRPercodani

Sorry, guess it has to be in the /system which requires root. There *might* be a app in the market that lets you set your own alarm sounds.

20. mdeva

mdeva Well-Known Member

On the SD Card under Audio (create such a folder if one does not exist), create the following three sub-folders: Alarms, Notifications and Ringtones. Using procedures described elsewhere on this site, download songs or parts therefrom into the Alarms folder. There doesn't appear to be a way to set a DEFAULT Alarm-tone; it looks like one needs to be selected for each Alarm.

Works for me.