• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alarm clock with "sets" or "groups"

kaelyne

Lurker
Apr 9, 2011
I am searching for an alarm clock that does the following, in order of importance:

1. Works reliably. Reliability is the most common complaint for alarm clock apps, from the dozens I've read about.
  2. Allows multiple alarms to be set with a single button push after initial setup.
  3. Has a volume increasing option (as with the stock alarm).
  4. (Seems impossible, but I'll throw it out there anyway) When docked, turns off lights behind the physical buttons (Droid X) and dims the clock to a low level where it is usable in a pitch-black room. No other clock does this, and I've tried a good number. The hardware testers must have slept with blindfolds on if they thought the stock alarm (when dimmed) was dim enough.
  5. Turns off notification sounds & freaking annoying blinking LED when docked & dimmed. Notifications should still show up in the status bar when you look at it later.
  6. (Optional, but ideal) Allows a work start time to be entered, and multiple alarms can be set based on subtracting a number of hours/minutes from that time.

I would use this for three alarms on a "normal" workday, where I have to be there by 6:30:

• 21:30 the night before ("don't forget you work early, GO TO SLEEP")
  • 5:00 (take prescription, or a "gentle alarm" for non-narcoleptics)
  • 5:30 (wake up).
A family might use this on a weekday to coordinate bedtimes, and who gets in the shower first, etc., if they only have one bathroom.

Some background as to why I am looking for this:

I recently started a job as a dispatcher. I'm the "rotater", which is a nice way of saying "filler". I can work any shift - 1st, 2nd, or 3rd - and this can change from day to day based on staffing needs.

I'm also narcoleptic. Without taking a prescription, I fall asleep unexpectedly. This means that every morning I need two alarms: The first is where I take my prescription. The second, 30+ minutes later, is where I'm actually capable of moving around without falling asleep in my cereal bowl. I've seen other apps that have similar functions as a "gentle" alarm, but the intention there is to not wake the person up if they don't hear it right away. In contrast, I need that first alarm to wait for my reaction.

I would be grateful for any recommendations of existing applications that have this functionality or something close. I was surprised that with how simple this sounds, it is not readily available - or at least I couldn't find it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones