alarm issues with htc heroSupport

Last Updated:

1. mani5ha

mani5ha Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had issues with the alarm on htc hero and if so how did they solve them?

This morning, although my alarm was set was 7:30 am, it didn't go off. Not at all! No sign of it. Luckily i made it into work on time. But this is really annoying. As far as i remember i didn't have anything else open (i heard that having messages or emails open may interfere with the alarm)

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Did you check that the volume was up in alarm with the volume rocker?

3. mani5ha

when i set the alarm, i set the alarm sound and checked the sound volume as well. Which was pretty high

oh, my phone was on silent

4. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member

Just tried a little experiment, ringer volume shouldn't affect alarm going off.

Are you able to reproduce the problem? If you set the alarm now, what happens?

Someone else here mentioned the same problem I think, sounds like a possible bug. I suspect a phone reboot (just turn it off and on again) will clear the problem if it's persistent, but still, not great :/

5. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Another thing to watch out for is don't kill the clock process. That will stop the alarm working too.

6. mani5ha

ah ha.. i may have been killing the click with taskiller! i'll see if that solves the problem! thanks!!!

7. robbiec

robbiec Member

With my old N95 (great phone) the alarm would work even with the phone powered off. I believe this is true of most (all?) Nokias.

Doesn't seem to be the case with the Hero - only tried it once but can anyone confim this is the case? i.e. the phone needs to be left on?

Cheers,
    Rob.

8. MartinS

It appears that the phone must be on.

9. robbiec

robbiec Member

Shame, the resonably poor battery life means its a no-go as a morning alarm then :mad:

Still loving the phone :D

10. MartinS

Really? My Hero lasts 2 days and I'm still messing around with it a lot.

11. mani5ha

thats poor.

on the first night with my htc hero, i had taken the sim out of my old fone and left battery in, to my amazement in the morning the alarm still went off, even though the phone was off and didn't have a sim! can't believe the HTC doesnt.

I agree i've had mine since Friday and have had to charge it about 4 times!

12. robbiec

robbiec Member

Yeah I was initally astounded by how bad the battery life was. Obv having the new phone meant I didn't put it down but it wouldn't even last a day..

I've read elsewhere that it takes a few full charges / discharges to get the battery perfoming at it's best and it does seem to be improving (i.e. it lasts a full day now) but I do make sure wifi etc is off when not needed.

I've had the phone around 3 weeks now, how about you?

Sorry I know this has gone off topic.

13. MartinS

I've had it since last Friday. Battery seems to have improved from the first couple of days though.

14. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member

Apparently there are issues with the alarm that should be fixed in the next release, details here.

15. Dem

Dem Well-Known Member

Mine seems to have gotten better over time, but still just get a day out of it, with careful management of WiFi and Bluetooth, which is fair enough. ;o)

16. ButchersBoy

ButchersBoy Member

If you have alarm problems, which I have, this is the work around.

You must go into the alarm, set the ring sound, and whilst in that screen adjust the alarm volume using the volume keys. I find that there are certain things that reset the alarm volume to zero. I think putting the phone into vibrate mode is one of them.

To be safe you need to check the alarm volume every night!

This is shite, but it gets you up in the morning....

17. kimbledon

kimbledon New Member

I have had no problems with the alarm clock on my HTC Hero. I've set repeating alarms on each day. For two weeks it has woke me up correctly :). Each day I put it to vibrating/silent mode in school but the alarm sound isn't going off(fortunately)

18. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Just do what I did and download an alternate Alarm system for free? I got one where you have to complete a short quiz to switch off your alarm, meaning that you will have to think and get your brain working before you can switch it off. Works a treat.

19. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Mine's been waking me up every morning for several weeks now, it only failed to go off once, and I think that was due to me using TasKiller to zap tasks, I was having horrible lag problems at the time so was killing stuff quite a bit (seems the lag was a faulty app). I've since put clock into the ignore list.

20. ScumPuppy

ScumPuppy Well-Known Member

listen to Butchersboy

he's spot on.. I had the same issue.. I have the ringer toggle widget to whack it into vibrate mode whilst at work.. this seems to affect the alarm volume

all you do is go into your alarms before you go bed, choose the tone and turn up the volume in the tone selection section, you will notice its right down to zero :)

job done!..

21. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

The ringer toggle widget doesnt affect alarm volume for me?

22. Yugami

Yugami Active Member

Sprint Hero user here. My first week on the Hero (last week) the alarm worked great. I even had my old phone for backup but woke up to the Hero just fine. Last weekend I was playing with it a lot and also went to the movies, where I switched it to silent mode and made sure everything was turned down.

Monday morning this week it didn't go off. Woke up, couldn't take a shower, rushed to work. I checked all the volume settings and turned it off silent and turned everything back up.

Tuesday it didn't go off. I found the alarm volume, turned that to max, turned everything back down.

Wednesday (this morning) it didn't go off. I had "Shot" open before I went to sleep and my phone was plugged in. This morning I also tested it by setting it and going into shot, and it went off...I'm thinking I might have killed the Clock with Taskkiller :/

This has been a pain. I like to get little things done in the morning but have had zero time this week >_<

23. pr0n

pr0n Member

i found that when you are selecting what alarm sound you want you can push up on the volume rocker and increase the volume of the alarm. I found out mine was turned off. Weird.

24. countrygal1031

countrygal1031 New Member

I just read on another forum.... Thank you to whoever you are... If you go into the alarm settings and attempt to change the sound for your alarm, press your volume up button on the side of the phone. This will raise the sound for you. I was late for work one day and searched for an answer for hours.

Hope this helps!!

25. MiketheChap

MiketheChap New Member

I can say that in my case, another alarm program, Lightning Bug, had apparently overridden or conflicted with the settings for the system Clock. When I went to the Lightning Bug program - whose alarm did work - and turned off the clock setting on it, the system clock settings worked again.