• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alarm won't work! Please Help (Time stops updating when phone sleeps...)

Thanks for the replies folks.

Hmm..

Well, I'll give an alarm clock app a go to see if that works in that case, but even if it did i'm still kinda concerned that the standard one won't work.

Geryatrix it sounds like you have pretty much the exact same setup as me, but yours is working :p

Really can't figure out what's wrong with my phone then, or what to do about it o_o.

Nobody else noticed their clock lagging behind real time when coming out of a long sleep? Like overnight.

Upvote 0
Really can't figure out what's wrong with my phone then, or what to do about it o_o.
are you sure you ave it set up right when you create you need to set the Repeat function to Once only, Everyday, Weekdays or Weekly. double check what you had it on.

my shifts change so i have it set to once and just update it every night.

Upvote 0
are you sure you ave it set up right when you create you need to set the Repeat function to Once only, Everyday, Weekdays or Weekly. double check what you had it on.

my shifts change so i have it set to once and just update it every night.

Yeah sadly I don't think that's it. The first time I tried the alarm I only had it set for that one day. The second and third time it was set to go off every weekday. The problem is it was meant to go off at 8am, but the time stopped moving at 5am :p then jumped to 9:30 am a few seconds after i turned the screen back on and realised I was late for work, haha.

Upvote 0
Gah, I tried Kaloer Clock since it seems to have an entirely separate alarm, and the exact same thing happened. I turn on my screen after the time the alarm is meant to go off, but the time has stopped at 6am so nothing happened =\. This time, when the clock updates itself the alarm actaully did go off, but it was like an hour late and obviously i was already awake, so pretty useless.

Seriously nobody else has had this problem, or noticed their time lagging when coming out of power saving??

Upvote 0
send it back seems dodgy to me they will probably do a software and firmware update and send it back to you.

if its still not fixed kick up a fuss

good luck!

Thanks for the good luck :) haha.

Ah i dunno.. sending it back seems like a real hassle, I'm really just hoping i can fix it myself. Would they even be able to do a firmware update at this stage? Since they don't have any official new firmware released yet.

Tbh i could just... unofficially try updating the firmware myself. Or wait until they pull the finger out and give us a new one properly.

Either way... I still can't find out why my alarm won't work =\ I hope it's nothing wrong with my particular device.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem - alarm won't work when phone is in sleep mode. It works fine when the screen is awake but this is obviously no use. I was late to work yesterday because of this. I also notice that the time updates itself only after about 2 seconds once the phone is woken up.

The strange thing is that the alarm was working perfectly before. I am just off two weeks holidays when I didn't use the alarm at all but before that I was using it everyday with no problems. I'm not sure what changed in that time but I may have received the OTA update from HTC since it last worked.....not sure about that though.

Upvote 0
i had a problem when i first got my i9000 with the time/date, it was way out, and seemed to be out by a different amount every time i checked it. at that point i had my 'date and time' setting to 'Automatic' (use network-provided values).
i have since unticked that and set it manually and its working fine. i only recently started using the alarm and its working fine, however i don't know if i retick the automatic option if i will get your problem.

Upvote 0
I should have mentioned that my phone is a HTC Desire but the problem is exactly the same. Since my last post I realised that I still have a task killer running (against all advice!) and I think this may have been the problem. I have now added the clock to the task killer's Ignore list and I think this has solved the problem

Upvote 0
curious - are your alarms sounding for more than a minute? mine shuts off after 60 seconds and i had ripped the audio track from that samsung video (the one where the nightstand dock was photoshopped out) and got it set to run 9 minutes

finally downloaded "gentle alarm" from android market tonite on someone else's advise to see if it won't run more than 60 seconds

Upvote 0
tried "gentle alarm" this morning and all worked well - not only did it play more than 1 minute, but smart alarm and snooze worked the way it should

in fact the shut off sequence for the alarm assures you are awake - two steps to shut it off, one for off and 2nd to confirm you want to turn it off - kinda like that feature

there's a free trial version that is permanent, no time limit, but they tell you it won't wake you on wednesdays - go figure - the full version is $1.99, not a lot and definitely worth it to me

Upvote 0
@SGSI No, not really =\ And I've tried that setting on and off and I don't think it helped me.

I've had sporadic success here and there but I still can't trust my phone to wake me, which is pretty terrible..

If I set the alarm individually every day using the Alarm Clock Plus app, which uses the default alarm, then it does seem to work (although today it was at least 10 minutes late, and did NOT gradually get louder, it seemed way too loud, louder than i'd set it to be...)

If I use the normal alarm clock of the phone I think I have previously had it work... it even once worked with the smart alarm setting on, but usually it simply doesn't. The fact that it's no one setting that seems to break it is what is so unhelpful when trying to work out what the issue here is.

Be interesting to hear what settings people have it work/fail on. I'll get back to you if I manage to pin it down at all :p

And no... I still don't use any task killer.. haha.

Upvote 0
Thanks Darkplek!! Well it has worked fine for me (till now) after turning off auto n/w values. I don't think it is an issue with the alarm but an issue with the clock; cause when it did not work the time was off by long way and then returned to normal after ~2 secs. Strange thing is the time on the lock screen showed the correct time but after unlock the time showed some 3 hrs behind. So I am thinking it could be because of the Fancy clock widget I am using. Anyways I will do some more tests and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

Hmm..

Well, I'll give an alarm clock app a go to see if that works in that case, but even if it did i'm still kinda concerned that the standard one won't work.

Geryatrix it sounds like you have pretty much the exact same setup as me, but yours is working :p

Nobody else noticed their clock lagging behind real time when coming out of a long sleep? Like overnight.

I have got exactly the same problem. Alarm works absolutely fine when used within short interval of, say 2 - 3 hrs or 8 - 9 hrs when phone is in constant use. But fails to go off when phone is idle for more than 6 hrs, specially during night. PLEASE let me know if you find any solution...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones