AlarmSupport

Last Updated:

1. zoo5174

zoo5174 Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that if you set your alarm, the phone has to be left on for the alarm to go off.

I know my old phone you can switch off and the alarm still goes off

Any solution to get around this issues for the samsung galaxy?

Advertisement
  2. Darkplek

Darkplek Well-Known Member

Nah, it's an android issue, rather than galaxy specific. Well, not so much an issue as a design decision. What i gather is Google have said that it would basically not be particularly possible to get that working for android, because there are too many variables involved with the state of the phone or... something. So at the moment they aren't planning to try.

Pretty bloody unhelpful if you ask me :p

But then again my alarm doesn't even work when the phone is ON nevermind when it is off... (see my other post

3. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

nope it did the same on my G1 (android also)

just dont switch it off ;-)

4. MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan Member

Go to the market, get the app called Auto Ring. Works like a charm.

5. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

I have a few friends who have the SGS and none of them reported that issue, maybe its just a firmware glitch on your specific hand set... try updating to the latest JM2.. i recon this will fix your problem and a whole lot more!

6. Darkplek

Noo... It's definitely not a glitch, it's how it's designed. Like I said.

Issue 1942 - android - Alarms don't work if phone is off - Project Hosting on Google Code

Note status "declined" and see this comment, from a google employee:

Comment 108 by j...@google.com, May 29, 2010
    Sorry folks, but this is not a feature we want to do. There are too many unknowns with respect to what state the
    device is in exactly when it boots into the alarm-only state with respect to 3rd party apps, the hardware, kernel,
    bootloader settings required to implement this feature.

7. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Oh i see, it needs something like auto power on when alarm is set.. the samsung wave has it.

8. Darkplek

Yeah it's a real shame they haven't worked it out =\ it's a good feature to have.

9. hogofddyn_

hogofddyn_ Well-Known Member

Just to clarify.
    Do you mean the alarm fails to sound when the screen is in standby?
    Or when the phone is completely powered off?

The default Galaxy S alarm clock app works fine for me while my screen is in standby or running in the background while I use other apps.

I also have a morning alarm that's repeated on all weekdays - this remains the same and activated if I turn my phone off and back on again.

The stopwatch and countdown timer, however, both reset if the phone is switched off and back on again.

10. rsk11584

rsk11584 Active Member

even doesnt work on my galaxy 551, in my nokia 6151 and all other older phones this feature was there, also when the alarm used to sound while phone being switched off it used to give option of starting the phone or again switching off the phone, it was a gem of a feature and used to save battery like anything. . even phones should have the clock linked with the bios to trigger alarm when switched off,

11. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

Just a tip to all those looking to save battery by switching the phone off-

since you cant switch the phone off and make the alarm ring you can put the phone on AIRPLANE MODE when putting the alarm.

This would also save much of the battery as the phone would no longer look for signal thus considerably reducing battery usage.