• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alarms (Calendar/Timer/Reminders/etc)

theSaj

Lurker
Nov 25, 2013
One aspect of my Android phone (AT&T SGN2) quite frustrates me. How it handles alarms and notifications.

If I put the phone on silent, I do not get alarms or notifications. This is not acceptable. If I have a calendar event set for 2pm, popping up an alert icon does nothing to help me not miss my meeting. If I set a timer for 30 minutes to alert me when the cookies are done baking, and all it does is vibrate. What good is that? And location reminders, if all it does is a tiny one blip vibration or show a finger with a string. How is that a reminder.

I confess, I may be COMPLETELY missing something. But just cause I do not want every single phone call or notification to make a sound, does not mean I don't want my alerts to sound.

And yes, I know I can change notification sounds in settings. But seriously, who the !@#$ wants their phone to sound for every email or Facebook message.

I should be able to denote an alarm that will sound. This shouldn't be too hard?

theSaj;[URL="tel:6290226" said:
6290226[/URL]]I might look into Timely. But that doesn't fix tge location based reminders.

And I don't want to block all email/facebook alerts. Particularly messages.

Alerts/notifications really need more control. And priority settings

:-/

True, but the problem is that if every app had a different setting for notifications, other then the stock setting for general notifications, system, media, phone calls, etc. it might confuse the system or you for that matter, when you put your phone on vibrate, silent or sound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones