• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Album Art showing up under "Pictures"

stevenc

Lurker
Nov 11, 2008
I just copied all my music folders onto a SD card and those folders contained album art which does show up when i play music on my G1.

Unfortunately all the album art also shows up under "pictures". Is there anyway to tell the G1 to stop looking for pictures in my music folder?

Fozzer I figured out the the phone will get its own album art. Delete the album art from your music folder.

Right cheers

just a quick one i have my music sorted like this

Music Folder > Artist Folder > Song/Album art

is this the best way or should all the songs just be in the Music folder.

Just changed to a G1 from a HTC Touch and as yet I havent had to soft reset how cool it that !

Upvote 0
Mine will display if I have the album art in the folder, if you search by album it will show the pics you have, but i have also found that if i seperate the images into folders such as "wallpapers" they show first in the list when selecting a new wallpaper. So my pictures folder has "wallpapers" folder which i keep all wallpaper pics, then i made a "contacts" folder where i keep images of my contacts. When i select to edit a contact and then select add icon it shows those images first, but still shows all images.

Upvote 0
The following instructions will give the details on how to load album art so that it shows on your G1.

First, an explanation as to why some do, and some don't:

The Amazon mp3 system encodes a small image into every track. This image is the album art. If you look at your G1 as a file storage unit, you'll see a file named "album thumbs". This is the folder where all the album art is stored which is pulled off the tracks when you add them. It is not possible to manually add album art by adding the images to this folder so don't try.

What this means is that any music files pulled off of Amazon, iTunes, or other providers that encode this image into the individual tracks will have album art, others will not. What you need to do to get yours to show up is encode the images yourself, this is astonishingly easy and all you need is Windows Media Player. (I am not sure if it works with other media centers, I only use WMP so it's all I have experience with.)

Step 1: Download the album art as an image. You can probably find a picture of the CD cover on Amazon.com, Towerrecords.com, or a host of other cd sites. Be sure to save this in a place you can find it later. Jpeg is recommended.

Step 2: Load your album into Windows Media Player. This entails either saving the already ripped files so they show up in WMP, or ripping them off of cd using WMP.

Step 3: From the library, open the album you wish to add art to. Select all the tracks and right click.

Step 4: On the right click menu, choose "advanced tag editor".

Step 5: Select the tab that says pictures. Click "Add". Select the image you saved as the album art and accept it. Then use the drop down menu to select "Cover Art". Press Ok and you are done.

Voila! Album art when you then copy those files over to your G1. The images will automatically be loaded into the file "albumthumgs" the first time you play a track from the album and will show up in your G1 media player shortly after. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. I always used to let media player find it and add it, or paste cover art onto the album picture, which I assumed did the same thing but could never work out why some of the album art loaded and some didn't. I shall be trying out your system for the missing ones. Well done. Good karma to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones