1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Aldiko Book Reader: Might suckle your Battery empty.

Last Updated:

1. krischik

krischik Member This Topic's Starter

Nice eBook reader with one tiny drawback: It might suckle your battery empty.

If you read and just press the on/off button then your screen goes black - as it should.

But energy saving is still off! If then anything happens which re-activates the screen it will stay on until the battery is empty.

If you see bugs like this you have to wonder if Steve Jobs was not right after all in restricting certain APIs.

So make sure to always exit the app before sending your phone to sleep.

So, now I have to write some very very useless stuff to get the 100 words the administrators demand. Not that I think that my review gets any better by adding more and more word to it.

Advertisement
  2. SlowRain

SlowRain Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out.

3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

I have never noticed this. I consistently use aldiko while at work and just shut my screen off when i get busy, sometimes for an hour or more at a time. Haven't noticed a unusual drain when doing so. It isn't related to the 'don't let phone sleep' setting while app is open is it? Had to turn that off or screen's backlight would stay on with blank screen and that surely would do what you describe.

4. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Ask the developer.

I use Akido on my DX and it kicks azz. I am very concerned with battery life and never noticed any crazy amounts of drain.

5. Dark Reality

Dark Reality Well-Known Member

While I don't intend to refute this reviewer's experience, I have never encountered abnormal battery usage using Aldiko. Nor have I previously heard anybody, before now, say so.

Re-reading the review, I will however say it is false that if Aldiko is running and something activates the screen, that the screen will not deactivate. This is simply not true. I also use TweetDeck, and it notifies me when my Facebook or Twitter timelines get updated, or when I get a direct/mention/wall post. Thankfully not with sound but the screen comes on... and goes right back off if I don't unlock it.

6. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

You do realize that there is a setting in Aldiko that prevents the device from going to sleep. If that is not what you want then simply turn it off. It is a feature, not a bug.

7. pWndYke

pWndYke Banned

Very nice review 5/5.

8. foobah

foobah Member

I don't think I've seen any such occurrence, but to be on the safe side I'd suggest exiting before toggling sleep.

One thing I have noticed is that if you are using a battery saver, like Green Power, that keeps Wifi turned on while the screen is on, this will drain the battery even though you are reading a book stored on your hard drive and not accessing the Internet at all.