Alert/message tonesSupport

Last Updated:

1. bigcol

bigcol Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ive not long had my htc desire, I havent even rooted it yet. Its on 2.2 but anyway onto my question. Is there anyway I can use my own mp3 tones as message alert and email notification tones. Ive tried playing around with my phone but cannot find a way of doing this. Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys:)

Advertisement
  2. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

A quick search would give you the answer. Create the following folders on the SD card and put the MP3 you want for each:

media\audio\alarms
    media\audio\notifications
    media\audio\ringtones

Then just open the notification for each option and you will find the new sound listed.

stasia1209 likes this.
  3. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

There's a free app in the market called shuffletone. It will allow u to set ur mp3's as message and alert tones ,and will also allow u to set ringtones that change with each call too. Awesome app

4. bigcol

Ive already seen that but have also read replies that the notifications and tones revert to default, I want to be able to change them when I want to and not when the phone decides to.

5. bigcol

Anyone any problems with this method restoring to default tones? Anyone got it working properly without any issues?

6. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Yeah, ME!

I don't post info just for the fun of it. I've been using this method for over 2 months now and it has never been an issue. I have custom ringtone and alarm and it has never changed by itself.

But there is one caveat - you can't have the phone plugged into a computer in disk drive mode and expect the sounds to work because the SD card is locked so the computer can read/write the card. During this time, the sounds can NOT play and the phone uses defaults instead. As soon as you unplug the phone, the SD card is checked and the ringtones, alarms, and notifications will return to your specific settings.

This is in versions 2.1 and 2.2 which I'm using now.

bigcol likes this.
  7. nickeyboy11

nickeyboy11 Member

I am doing all of the above and I can't get my new message tone to be read on the notifications list, I can't even listen to the ones already on there and its starting to fluster me a bit. Does it have to be in a specific format?

8. mrfaberge

mrfaberge New Member

Connect your phone to the pc set to disk drive, go to sd card open up media folder, then go to audio, open that you'll see Alarms and Ringtones folders. In here add a new folder called Notifications.

You're all set then, add your MP3's or custom sounds to one of the three folders for whatever you want. And don't forget to disconnect your phone from the pc, when you choose a notification sound, as mentioned before/above, the sounds will revert to default whilst connected to the pc.