All Androids the same?

Last Updated:

1. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a Droid phone and a phone with Android.

I have the Droid Eris, which i love.

My sister just got the Motorola Devour, which if I'm not mistaken is not a Droid...
    My sister asked me to help her figure out how to work it... and i was going to tell her she cant do all the cool things I can with a Droid... and that's when she told me it had Aldroid(not sure which version yet)

So what's the difference?
    CAn it do the same things? Download apps from the MArket?
    I have great apps on my Eris like Swype keyboard (which i didn't get from the market), HAndcent for texting, among others...

Can she get all those same things?
    If so, what makes a phone a Droid? Or is it just a name?

Advertisement
  2. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member

Droid phones are Verizon android phones. The way Android phones differ is basically by the ui. Some android phones have the stadard ui which usually is considered a google experence phone then you have some manufacture which change ui for example the eris has "sense ui" and I believe the devour has moto-blur.

But all the phones should have the market and most will allow you to install apps outside the market. I believe non of AT&T phones will allow any apps besides the market be installed.

Also I believe the devour runs android 1.6 which I think is the same as your.

Bill

3. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

droid (or droid phones).. is the name of the series of android (operating system) phones that verizon is/will sell...

So droid is basiclly the name that verizon gives to its phones with android in them.

note, droid is not the user interface, cause the droid (motorola droid) has the regular android user interface (or stock) and it still called droid...

4. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

Android is the operating system installed on a phone.

Droid is just a phone, with more features, that has Android on it.

5. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I lol'd.

Android is an operating system. An operating system is, like, Windows or Ubuntu. Some phones run Android and happen to have the word "droid" in their names because some carriers think their customers are not very bright and easily confused. Other phones run Android and don't have the word "droid" in their names.

Pretty sure the Hero/Eris and the Devour run the same version of Android. 1.5 or 1.6 probably.

Yes.

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The Droid doesn't really have more features. It's pretty much stock Android 2.x IIRC. The Droid Eris has Sense. Not sure about the Droid Incredible.

Already mentioned above but the only carrier with Droid phones is Verizon. It's just a marketing name.

7. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

What he said.
    Droid is what Verizon decided to name that phone.

8. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

Droid is a marketing name. In fact the Motorola Droid and the Droid Eris have very little in common. They are completely different hardware, they both run Android, but the Moto Droid has 2.1 and the Droid Eris has 1.5. The Devour Runs android 1.6 and can do everything (if not more) a droid eris can do. She will actually be able to get even more apps in the market than you can, because there are major differences between Android 1.5 and lower compared to android 1.6 and higher that prevent older versions of Android from running SOME newer apps.

So in short the devour can do everything the Eris can do plus a little more BUT the eris has a cool User Interface called HTC Sense (gives you 7 home screens, cool widgets, and pinch to zoom browser)