All contacts disappearedSupport

Last Updated:

1. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe you guys can help me out here. This is the second time this has happened. All of the sudden, without warning, all my contacts are gone. I sent a text not 10 mins ago, at that point everybody who I'd texted had their names and photos next to the texts. Now, I'm left with just a bunch of numbers. I checked my "Contacts" app, and it's empty. It did the same thing about a week ago, but it was early and I had a Nandroid backup from the night before, so I only lost about two texts. My last backup is from two days ago, too much for me to restore back that far. Any idea a) WHY this would happen, as randomly as it did? and b) How to get back any contacts that might not transfer from a GMail/Facebook Sync? Would this be a problem with the phone, or something I did to the phone that would make it do this literally randomly?

I guess I'll throw in that I mainly use Handcent, have ChompSMS on here as well, and haven't used the default messaging app since I downloaded Handcent. I also am no longer able to sync Facebook it appears.
    Also, contacts are the only thing missing. All other data is still there, along with all apps and even my homescreen layout is still intact.

Advertisement
  2. onepoint

onepoint Member

Open Contacts and press the Menu key, then 'Display options'. Where are the checkmarks?

3. rrrrramos

The issue isn't in what contacts my phone is showing in the Contact app, but that all the contacts are actually gone. I can sync my GMail account and get back the ones on there, but all the ones that were on my phone, synced via Facebook, and apparently on my SIM as well are gone. Obviously they aren't all deleted randomly, so they have to be SOMEWHERE on the phone. My big thing was I didn't want to lose all my SMS messages (the only thing not easily recovered) but I found an app to back those up and restore them, so I just gave in to doing a Nandroid restore instead.
    What I'm wondering is why they were missing in the first place. I literally sent a text at 11:58am, then when I received a response at 12:06pm, it showed as from their number, not their name, and then the rest of my messages showed up as only numbers as well, in all three SMS apps. When I went to my "Contacts" app, it said "You have no contacts" or something of the like. In those 8 minutes between the sending and receiving, the phone was just sitting by me on my desk, not plugged into anything, not even woken up since that last text was sent. I actually hadn't done anything to my phone (root, lagfix, metamorph) that I usually make a nandroid backup before since Sunday, so this really just seems totally random to me that it's deleting my contacts. And it's kind of obnoxious as well.

4. onepoint

onepoint Member

I can imagine that being a royal pain. Were you initially showing Facebook contacts? Gmail? I'm wondering if there isn't a sync issue that is failing or somehow resulting in an error, thus your phone having no contacts list to display (especially since you stated that Facebook cannot currently sync). In essence, the phone polls for updated contact lists and when the list isn't available, it's as if your contacts "don't exist".

5. rrrrramos

I had Facebook, GMail, phone and SIM contacts all showing, hiding all contacts without phone numbers.
    I also had autosync off, and it was still unchecked when I went there before restoring to see if I could just resync my contacts back.
    I'm glad I found a way around it this time, with minimal loss (only had to update a handful of apps, redownload one, and restore my SMS), but I'm still really curious as to HOW this happened, and what I can do to prevent it. It's not so much that I'm losing things now that it's just a hassle. And if this was to happen while I was say at work, I'd have to deal with having no names to put to calls/messages until I got back home.

6. rrrrramos

Hmmm looks like it happened again just a few mins ago... Now its becoming a problem...

7. aaranan

aaranan Member

Ok so I got a problem

contacts just disappeared. Flat out.

I have all those filters on, [everything is clicked on, phone, sim, facebook twitter...etc]

but only my gmail ones show which is like 3! and the At&t ones ?

so wtf happened?

even when I put on "show sim contacts" it only shows like less then 10, wtf?
    so clearly the contacts are still there? but have a problem showing them?

everything else on the phone works fine, all my calendar stuff is there, all my apps
    only my contacts are affected.

can someone please enlighten me cause this problem makes no sense.

Argupta26 likes this.
  8. Argupta26

Argupta26 Member

I have the same problem. Seems like all contacts (phone and others) just disappeared. Auto sync is off and display settings are fine.