all contacts lost , please help !!!!

Last Updated:

1. emily01

emily01 Member This Topic's Starter

hey all i hope you can help...as tmobile tech help couldn't !
    i had my desire yesterday , all my numbers were saved into the sim fine no problem ...all present and correct .
    when i went to manually enter a contact last night it gave me the option to store to googlemail , phone or sim.... well not knowing that my contacts were now stored under googlemail ... i thought i would pick phone, one little message later (something about changing settings) but not saying it would wipe my contacts ...everyone apart from this new number i maunually entered were gone ! :eek:
    so checked that i had checked the box to back up everything ( i had), tried to import from sim.... but nothing !!!! no contacts !!!! :mad:
    EVERY other phone i have had you can save to any file sim, phone etc without a hitch , why not this one ???
    are my contacts really all gone ??? or is there a way to rectify this ?
    a few numbers i remembered have now been entered into my phonebook manually and saved under googlemail .... but what happens if i accidently pick phone or sim again...... back to square one :confused:

anyone else had this happen ? is there a way to get them back ?
    and a way around this in the future. ? if not the desire is going back ! !! ! ! !
    thank u in advance , em :(

Advertisement
  2. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

Have you tried People>menu>view>then select which contacts you want to view.

Saving all contacts to Google is probably the best thing to do in my opinion. Lose the phone, you've still got all your contacts online.

3. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to periodically export contacts to the SD card and backup that file to a pc. There are some issues with Google contacts that I don't want on my phone. For example, Google contacts will force a low resolution contact photo onto your phone, replacing any good photo that was there before. So unless you jump through a few hoops you're going to see a fuzzy picture when someone phones you up. Massive fail. Then there are privacy issues, of course.

I don't use sin contacts because of the very limited amount and type of data that can be stored on a sim.

For the above reasons I only have phone contacts. When I get my next phone it will be a simple matter to transfer contacts, either by Bluetooth, or restoring from a contact backup file on my pc.

4. belso

belso Member

Personally, I've had weird things happening with contacts.
    I've had all types of contacts disappear from the phone (google, phone, and sim contacts), the worst being google contacts which somehow often get deleted during google sync.
    Once google or phone contacts disappear, the only thing I could do was re-enter them manually as I couldn't find them anywhere, as for sim contacts, even if they disappear from the phone directory they still stay on the sim card, if you put the sim card into another phone you'll see that the contacts are still there, it's just from the desire that they get deleted, at least in my case.
    Another thing is this: when writing an sms and searching the number through the directory, in there I have ALL the contacts even those that were deleted and those that I re-entered, causing duplicate or even triplicate entries.
    So, when searching numbers through the sms app, contacts are all there, when searching through the people app or through the place where you make calls, they disappear.
    I have aksed this questions on many forums nobody has the answer.
    Perhaps a software upgrade will fix this, perhaps it's a bug in the people app or google sync or both.
    What I do is regular backups which I store online as well as on my SD card, so when this happens, I restore.

5. emily01

emily01 Member This Topic's Starter

hey all thanks for the replys.... all my contacts that were saved in google mail before this misshap ....and when i checked them on my laptop ... they were not there. so the theory that there always safe in gmail is not true . :(
    tried my sim in hubbys phone and their wiped from there to !!!:eek:
    id backed them all up to the sd card ... and when i tried that in hubbys phone they had vanished from there too .
    this seems like a very common prob with the desire and one im not happy to put up with !!!
    hycaet, tried People>menu>view> and there was only one contact in the phone. sim and mail .

xxx