• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[All Discussion}Your S Pen... Use It? /Help/features ect...

When writing notes I have had problems with the page moving or writing on the screen with my hand or bumping the return / home button, messing up my page I was writing on and the pen sliding too much on the glass to feel like writing on paper.

Then I found the combination of Write for the notes app with it set to ignore all touch input (still registers the pen touch), Adaptive Rotation Lock app to turn the screen upside down putting all the buttons at the top so there is nothing for my hand to touch and the BoxWave Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ClearTouch Screen Protector which gives the scree just enough feel so it feels much more like paper.

Now I really use the pen much more and like it more also.

Upvote 0
When writing notes I have had problems with the page moving or writing on the screen with my hand or bumping the return / home button, messing up my page I was writing on and the pen sliding too much on the glass to feel like writing on paper.

Then I found the combination of Write for the notes app with it set to ignore all touch input (still registers the pen touch), Adaptive Rotation Lock app to turn the screen upside down putting all the buttons at the top so there is nothing for my hand to touch and the BoxWave Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ClearTouch Screen Protector which gives the scree just enough feel so it feels much more like paper.

Now I really use the pen much more and like it more also.

S Notes disables hand input and navigation buttons when the S-Pen is held near or on the screen.
You can also disable hand recognition when writing notes by clicking on the hand icon in the lower right corner of the screen in S Notes.

Upvote 0
Well, this thread inspired me to try using the S Pen for uses other than just jotting quick notes, and I have to say, I'm sold. I spent most of the night last night using it for web surfing and navigating menus and everything, and it's really just a very nice feature. With the gestures and all that, very very cool. I'll still use my fingers if I just need to do something quickly or for one-handed operation, but other than that, pretty sure I will be using the S Pen for anything else.

Upvote 0
S Notes disables hand input and navigation buttons when the S-Pen is held near or on the screen.
You can also disable hand recognition when writing notes by clicking on the hand icon in the lower right corner of the screen in S Notes.
You are correct but if you lift your pen while your hand is still on the screen things start happening like maybe marks on the note or movement of the page depending on your settings. I find it better to have the touch locked out. Then it is like paper.

Upvote 0
Use it for just about everything and feels good to be writing again, even use it on the keyboard to enter passwords.
My Note is password protected and when I want to take a note an s note pops up as soon as I take out the pen without me having to enter the password.
One tip - select the option to have an alarm ring if you walk away without putting your s pen in place.

Upvote 0
The S pen is the exact reason why I bought this phone . I have three phone lines (stupid but my company had two land lines and I ported them to verizon when I moved locations as I'm done with land lines )

My main phone (personal phone) is my Note II
My work phone right now is a Galaxy Nexus
My 3rd phone is a Iphone 4s that gets forwarded to the Nexus and stays in my car connected to my stereo that has ipod integration . I've thought of making this a dumb phone line but for $10 extra a month it's nice to have a smartphone with pandora and spotify accounts connected to it at all times

Now I've had my Note for 6 weeks and I can't imagine life without it. I own a restaurant and catering company and I act as the main catering coordinator . So when I get a call on my work line I simply answer whip out my Note II and the second i take the spen out it opens up a note. I take down notes from the phone call and store the note in a folder dedicated to that customer . It's especially helpful for my wedding customers as most of them I deal with for a long period of time and being able to simply open a folder and see all the notes I've taken from them is absolutely terrific

I also use it for making edits to photos and to just play around especially when I let my niece play with my phone she loves to draw with it .

Before the Note II I had a Nexus 7 and a stylus(not a cheap knock off one but one of the better expensive ones) and honestly I really couldn't take notes with it very efficiently so I carried around a little note pad and pen all the time and then would take pictures of the note so I wouldn't lose the information when I missed placed the note pad haha

Upvote 0
Yeah, that option setting to have the note app pop up when the s-pen is removed from its receptacle is useful, at times. I finally unchecked that option as I was only using it to show off the s-pen to anybody within eyeshot of my shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

I can't read my own handwriting or printing anyway. And typing doesn't impress people. :D

Upvote 0
The S pen is the exact reason why I bought this phone . I have three phone lines (stupid but my company had two land lines and I ported them to verizon when I moved locations as I'm done with land lines )

My main phone (personal phone) is my Note II
My work phone right now is a Galaxy Nexus
My 3rd phone is a Iphone 4s that gets forwarded to the Nexus and stays in my car connected to my stereo that has ipod integration . I've thought of making this a dumb phone line but for $10 extra a month it's nice to have a smartphone with pandora and spotify accounts connected to it at all times

Now I've had my Note for 6 weeks and I can't imagine life without it. I own a restaurant and catering company and I act as the main catering coordinator . So when I get a call on my work line I simply answer whip out my Note II and the second i take the spen out it opens up a note. I take down notes from the phone call and store the note in a folder dedicated to that customer . It's especially helpful for my wedding customers as most of them I deal with for a long period of time and being able to simply open a folder and see all the notes I've taken from them is absolutely terrific

I also use it for making edits to photos and to just play around especially when I let my niece play with my phone she loves to draw with it .

Before the Note II I had a Nexus 7 and a stylus(not a cheap knock off one but one of the better expensive ones) and honestly I really couldn't take notes with it very efficiently so I carried around a little note pad and pen all the time and then would take pictures of the note so I wouldn't lose the information when I missed placed the note pad haha

Sounds like you'd even benefit using the s-pen w/ eraser for sure. It's worth it to purchase at the 50% off price through Samsung's website.

Upvote 0
I can't read my own handwriting or printing anyway. And typing doesn't impress people. :D
Hand the phone and Spen to someone and let them write with it. I've had 100% success amazing people with that when they see it show as an outgoing text.

... just be careful not to send the example text, you don't want Mom getting one that says "Hello. Holy ****, it works!" (I actually had someone write that :eek: )

Upvote 0
It looks like the s-pen with the eraser is too large to fit in the Note 2 s-pen holder. That seem counter intuitive to me.

It's not meant to fit. It's bigger. It's meant for those that require more user of the pen for note taking. It's actually very useful in an office setting. I keep this at the office specifically for that reason. I use the builtv in spen when on the go

Upvote 0
I dont use it. I might if it wasnt in a dumb spot on the phone itself. I hold my phone with my right hand and use my left hand to navigate. So if I did need the pen. I have to reposition how Im holding the phone and take the pen oht and reposition again so its comfortable. I have no idea why they didnt put it on the top of the phone?

Majority of the people in the world are right handed. I wouldn't call that necessarily dumb. It's designed for the majority.

Posted from my G-Note II.

Upvote 0
Yes but they could have pleased both sides by putting it on top of the phone. Like the majority of PDAs that came before it.

I agree that it seems better to put the s-pen at the top, but I think that's where the front camera is located. It probably does not have enough room. The other side on the top is headphone jack, so they cannot move the camera there. The center has Samsumg logo.

I haven't been using my s-pen for a while now. I only use it to draw on pictures and play Draw Somethings. The things that I draw could really be done with finger. Even my niece (she is an artist) told me that she doesn't really use her s-pen much either.

Upvote 0
Not really a problem but I notice that when I mount and unmount the s pen it leaves a small blue line on the side of the pen, near the nib. It can be rubbed off, but sliding it into the device and removing it causes it to return. I think it might be caused by the mechanism that holds the pen secure in its hole. I have a white phone and I doubt ud notice it on other colour devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones