• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root All i want is Tethering?

shizumie

Jan 24, 2011
Ok I know i need to root for wifi tethering, Im planning on using the Z4 root. I dont care about changing operating syst, roms, clocking, or anything like that, I just want tethering.
1. So my question is, before i do root with Z4 what do I need to do?
2. Since I will not be changing rom, what all will i lose?
3. Do I still need a good backup app?
4. If all I want is wifi tether, is this the best route, ie is it worth it just for that?

Thanks for the help.

Ok I know i need to root for wifi tethering, Im planning on using the Z4 root. I dont care about changing operating syst, roms, clocking, or anything like that, I just want tethering.
1. So my question is, before i do root with Z4 what do I need to do?
2. Since I will not be changing rom, what all will i lose?
3. Do I still need a good backup app?
4. If all I want is wifi tether, is this the best route, ie is it worth it just for that?

Thanks for the help.

1. NOTHING
2. NOTHING
3. I prefer titanium backup (free version) and this is always a good idea
4. tethering can be performed with apps like easytether or PDANet (both in market) without rooting.

My steps to gain the wifi HotSpot (different than tethering really) are as follows:

1) z4 MOD
2) Titanium Backup (free); backed up all apps (system and user)
3) TBH Droid 3G HotSpot NVRAM hack (TBH: Droid 3G Hotspot NVRAM Hack)

After that I was good to go. The biggest problem that I had with Step 3 was that I was overthinking it and I could have really knocked it out in a matter of minutes. I am using the D2G but simply using the .zip probably would take care of it if you have a regular D2 or R2D2.

If you need help, I am glad to offer it...

Good Luck!

-lance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones