All Music Apps + 3.5mm Jack == Wonky PlaybackSupport

Last Updated:

1. esone1ll

esone1ll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys,

1. I plug my headphones in, and Doubletwist starts playing without me asking it to. Fine.

2. I listen to music perfectly for a while, then pick up my EVO. The song stops, skips to the next track, or starts and stops repeatedly.

3. I uninstall Doubletwist and switch to the Android Music app. Same problems as in (2).

What gives? I can't seem to get stable playback of songs on my SD card. Streaming audio tends to work OK, and isn't plagued by these issues.

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I don't honestly know what to say here, side from take it back whenever possible. I listen to all my music at work straight off the SD card, or through the FM tuner because I get no signal, and it's always sitting in my back pocket, being jostled around as I pick up furniture, move stuff, etc, and I have to have it randomly skip songs or do anything of that sort on me.

So far, the only gripe I have is from the immature graphics drivers liming everything to 30 fps. Again, hopefully nothing that won't be fixed in a few weeks. Hopefully not that long, seeing as our hardware is well over more than capable of what's it doing. Oh well, the joys of early adopting.

3. esone1ll

esone1ll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply. So you don't replicate? Dang. I've isolated it to jostling the 3.5mm jack, but even a SMALL, SLIGHT jostle will make playback go nuts.

4. strentax

strentax Member

esone1ll likes this.
  5. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

zero problems with skipping but the fm radio locks up the phone.

6. Delvorak

Delvorak Member

I've noticed something similar when watching video with earbuds, any time i touched the bottom of The phone, near, but not on, the capacitive buttons, it acts like one of the buttons gets stuck and is being repeatedly pressed, resulting in the video starting and stopping over and over again.

Possibly an electrostatic thing?

7. strentax

strentax Member

The question is, if it IS electrostatic, then is that the same for all models?

8. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

I ran into this problem today when I plugged into my car stereo with the 3.5 jack. I started up Slacker Radio and then the default HTC music player came on in the background and started playing one of those 5 songs that came preloaded on the phone. So it was playing to tracks at once, my slacker radio song and that preloaded crap. Uhg.

I erased all those preloaded tracks as a temporary fix but I think I'll see this again once I get around to loading up my own tracks onto the SD card.

9. Kam

Kam Active Member

10. ahahn

ahahn Member

I noticed the same thing if I used a "normal" 3.5mm jack- when using a headset with the four contacts on the plug vs. the 3 contacts on a stereo headset/3.5mm line cable it works fine, but when trying to use a standard cable it skips around all the time.

11. acr

acr New Member

OP,
    Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
    I'm having a similar issue with my EVO while playing Slacker and Pandora.
    Phone skips songs by itself on both apps.
    I wonder if this is software related.

12. baciv

baciv Active Member

cut and pasted from here:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-incredible/91018-fixes-known-issues.html

(all credit to Senior Member Asterdroid)

Solutions: The problem is that the phone is recognizing the device you've connected to the headphone jack as a headset with a microphone, and is trying to extablish a 2-way connection to the device instead of just a line-out. This is an issue with both the phone and the cable you are using. There are actually a couple solutions to this problem.

a. If you are having this issue with a line-out, auxiliary cable, you can just replace the cable with a cable that uses different shielding. The Gigaware gold-plated cables are readily available at Radio Shack and have been tested/proven to solve this issue. In fact I use one myself.

b. A less expensive solution, especially if the issue is with your headphones and you don't want to replace them, is to download a widget available here: Headset Blocker. It does exactly what the name implies. It's a toggle widget that allows you to block all incoming headset controls.