All my apps turn on even if i close them

Last Updated:

1. adamman41

adamman41 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Even when I used advanced task manager to close apps like locale and football live scores, they still show up later when i open advanced task manager so why does this happen?

Advertisement
  2. adamman41

adamman41 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

why is this happening, after i close gps tracker, locale, live football scores, and anything else that's running or even i never started running with advanced task manager, they start up again when I look 10 minutes later they are all running again

3. golder

golder Well-Known Member

Yes I have the same problem. all these apps on my android system turn on by themselves even ones that don't have widgets. Like my mail app which i havent even setup yet or have a widget of just randomly start appearing in my tasks list unnecessarily slowing my phone down and draining bl.

4. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

I was wondering this myself.

5. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Same problem here, been meaning to make a thread about it. It's not like they are just running and not taking up memory. I'll use ATK to close the apps and the free memory will go up, then 5 minutes later I'll open ATK again and all the apps are back with a low free memory again.

6. gtdriver

gtdriver Member

Thats pretty much the way android works.. its will kill off those apps if it needs the ram.. you could get autostarts and remove them from the startup process of the phone.. but then again I think you need root for it to work..

7. golder

golder Well-Known Member

Its a shame that you can't close apps in android and a shame that you need a task killer just to get apps to stop running. Suggestions like using an app to autoclose apps doesn't really solve the issue as even those apps need to be runnin at all times which slows and drains the fone.

8. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member

I never use "Corporate Calendar" or "Voice Dialer" (although sometimes "voice search" and "Calendar" and "Email").

I almost bought that autostarts application but realized you have to have root on your phone to shut down services.

Is there some way to shut down services we never use?

9. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Member

Some apps need to load up and run every once in a while to do their job. Locale doesn't do you any good if it can't run periodically to check if any of your conditions (location, time) are met. Email apps need to run periodically to check for new mail. I assume the football scores app is checking for updated scores.

Other apps that don't need periodic updates will stay closed if you kill them with a task killer (like the browser, youtube, nav app).

I do agree is sucks that you can't keep built in apps like the corporate calender from running, even if you're not using it.

Like others said android will automatically close apps if it feels the need for additional resources. If you're really concerned about it, try to choose apps that don't need periodic updates. For instance, the Quick Profiles app stays closed, but then you have to activate the profiles yourself instead of having locale do it automatically for you.

10. thaJack

thaJack Well-Known Member

You can go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and select an application there and Force Quit it.

But again, I've heard from multiple places that it doesn't really help much, even with a task killer, except to get out of a hung application.

As long as the OS frees up memory when needed, it doesn't really matter to me what is running.

11. SpecialEd

Looks like my wish was granted. Corporate Calendar and Voice Dial are no longer running on my droid. Maybe they did this change with the recent push that fixed the camera autofocus?

12. rag133

rag133 Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing, the NFL scores app and others you list refuse to stay closed even after being killed. Really annoys me, and I hope they fix this.

13. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

The push was a lie.

14. SpecialEd

Then what happened? Why did the Corporate Calendar and Voice Dial app go away? I never did a reboot AFAIK? They never stayed dead after using Taskiller, they always came back. ???

15. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

I find a lot of applications auto-start themselves.

I don't like this. has anyone figured a way to keep everything shut down? battery life is important to me.

16. Iceytea

Iceytea Member

News on the Phandroid front page points to a rounding timestamp method used to help autofocus of camera. Its bugged and thus for a certain number of days the camera autofocus will work and then not work.

17. kramerica

kramerica Well-Known Member

18. SpecialEd

Yeah, I caught that later. Silly autofocus issue based on the date stamp errors.

But it still seems odd that some of my applications stopped restarting themselves. Taskiller would stop the process, but they would respawn. And now they don't and I don't know why. Very odd to me.