All Nexus devices will speed up with 4.3, thanks to TRIM

1. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

I will admit that slowly and surely, my Galaxy Nexus from about one-year ago has slowed down. The slow down has been gradual, so not so noticeable day-to-day. But when playing with the newer phones in stores, it was tangible.

Well, I found the answer as to why this has happened, as I read about the solution. And the solution is 4.3!

For previous versions of Android, TRIMwasn't enabled, which led to slower and slower I/O performance over time -- something that hit the Nexus 7 particularly hard. Luckily thanks to some investigation and testing by AnandTech, it is confirmed that the Android 4.3 update is bringing TRIM support to not only the Nexus 7 but every Nexus device.

(TRIM is essentially a way for the device's software to communicate with the on-board storage to let it know when blocks are sitting unused and ready for garbage collection)

Nexus devices updated to Android 4.3 will now have TRIM support | Android Central

Advertisement
    :
    funkylogik likes this.
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

funkylogik likes this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I just installed that app and noticed id gave it a one star review in the past lol. Cant remember what my problem was with it lol but i ran it again and the phone does seem cleaner, noticable when typing (kinda like when you clear the app cache) but, like you, it could be a placebo lol.. i find it hard to believe things without tangible evidence :D
  4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

i was not aware of any Nexus product being 'slow' much less in need of 'a speed boost'
  5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

mikedt and funkylogik like this.
  6. funkylogik

Any idea if the LagFix app works or has the capability to work Slug? :beer:
  7. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It should, going by the explanation/discussion in that thread. Certainly the IO benchmarks posted seem to bear it out. As noted it may be dependent on device, but as it utilises the existing fstrim command the theory (as far as this layman can see :) ) is sound.
    funkylogik likes this.
  8. funkylogik

Nice one thanks Slug :beer: