1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

all phone contacts deleted after sync!??

Last Updated:

1. surfmadpig

surfmadpig Member This Topic's Starter

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic, I wasn't sure where to post it. But because it's not device-specific and, in a way, "sync" can be considered an app, i thought here would be my best bet. :cool:

I've got a huge problem:

Ever since I got my Magic, and because I didn't like the feature very much, I had the "sync contacts" option to off. I manually entered all the phone numbers & email I had, and was fine with it.

Then, today, I thought "oh, wth, i'll turn contact sync so that my gmail will also have my phone numbers and they'll be safe". little did I know.

For some inexplicable reason, when synchronizing ended, my phone had downloaded all my google contacts BUT it had completely wiped out my existing phone contacts. At the "view" option in contacts, under the "phone" contacts it shows 0, and it does not recognise my call log or my sms list as sent by known numbers. Oh, and my phone contacts (neither the ones I had before sync, nor the couple I just entered after all this) do NOT show up in my google contacts AT ALL.

Is there any way at all to undo this? I want my phone contacts back!

Also, is this some sort of bug or error or does sync reallly wipe out all your phone contacts? if so, WHY THE HELL does it do that? I thought synch would be upload phone contacts to gmail, download gmail contacts to phone, keep all of htem in both places. isn't that the point?

Why did this happen? I'm pretty sure it never asked me if I wanted to keep my phone contacts or anything...

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Download the app "ContactSync" from the marketplace. This app will change all your contact entries from "phone" to "google". It will also give you the option to choose between "google" and "phone" each time you create a new contact.

Of course this means that all your contacts will sync with your google account when you sync it, so for people who don't want their contacts on google, don't do it. Of course those people shouldn't have a problem with disappearing contacts.

This link goes to a review of ContactSync, and if you are using the barcode scanner, there is a QR code you can scan to go right to the app in the marketplace.

ContactSync v1.0.2 Application for Android | Tools

BTW: In case you are wondering, this is apparently a bug with only _some_ android phones. Apparently you are supposed to have the option of choosing "google" or "phone" as the source when importing contacts from your SIM card, or creating new ones, but it is missing from some builds of the OS on certain phones. I have a Rogers Magic, and I had this problem.

3. yellowlab

yellowlab New Member

Is there a way to recover the deleted contacts from google? Thanks!

4. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

1. Log in to your Gmail account in a web browser on your computer.

2. Click on "Contacts"

3. Click the "More Actions" button.

4. Choose "Restore Contacts"

5. Choose one of the options listed. You will only be able to restore contacts up to 30 days ago.

I suggest if/when you are able to restore your contacts, do an export from Gmail to a .csv file, and save it on your computer as a backup.

Hope this helps, I have not tried it myself yet.