• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
good news, hopefully. i just got the update on my Tmobile vibrant and the gps, so far, seems to work REALLY WELL!!!!!!!! the GPS on that phone was also garbage before the update.
i ran GPS test on it and at times it was showing 14 satellites in view and was using 9-10 of them. i tried the same thing with my fascinate and it showed 2 satellites in view and none in use.....major bummer...so keep your fingers crossed as it appears that a software update can fix the GPS issue. BTW, the vibrant update was NOT froyo, mostly bug fixes and a few new features, such as samsung media hub, which, for some reason, isn't even on the fascinate.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Acclaim with GPS Status and Toolbox app. It locks onto sattellites just fine and fairly quickly. My problem is the accuracy says 98 feet no matter what. I have a co-worker who has an HTC with the same app. His accuracy is as good as 9 feet. I changed my settings to exactly the same settings as him. If anyone has a suggestion or an answer, please let me know.

Upvote 0
good news, hopefully. i just got the update on my Tmobile vibrant and the gps, so far, seems to work REALLY WELL!!!!!!!! the GPS on that phone was also garbage before the update.
i ran GPS test on it and at times it was showing 14 satellites in view and was using 9-10 of them. i tried the same thing with my fascinate and it showed 2 satellites in view and none in use.....major bummer...so keep your fingers crossed as it appears that a software update can fix the GPS issue. BTW, the vibrant update was NOT froyo, mostly bug fixes and a few new features, such as samsung media hub, which, for some reason, isn't even on the fascinate.

Good news if or sister Galaxy phones are starting to get the update.

Upvote 0
How do you guys determine you have a "lock on GPS"? I've been using google maps for a few days and it seemed to track very closely with my current location. Today, however, I tried to use the google maps "navigation" mode and it took about 5 minutes to get a "lock". Previously I was just getting directions with google maps and there was no message about "trying to get GPS" or something.

Edit: Ok, weird, I tried getting my location in google maps right now and it is accurate to 600 meters only. I know previously it was more accurate in the same place, but at the time I didn't realize how to see how accurate it was.

Upvote 0

I ran the Verizon update for the Fascinate and I cannot take pictures while talking on the phone now. Before the update, I could do this. Not sure what else changed (can't think of them, but I know a few things did change). Not happy right now with the "update."

My GPS issues are getting worse each time I use the GPS. It takes longer and longer to lock on and that's only WHEN it does lock; sometimes, it does not lock on.

The mic reverb during calls is also bugging the hell out of me. I still love the phone but was wishing I could've tested out the Droid X for a few weeks and then decided, even though I hate all things Motorola.

Still glad I got the Fascinate given how easy the Galaxy S is to root.

Upvote 0
I've used google navigation beta a few times now. First time the GPS locked on after a minute and navigation was near flawless with regards to accuracy, and it never lost the signal for the rest of the day. The second time it took maybe 2 or 3 minutes to lock on the gps, but once it had the lock, it was perfect the rest of the day. I never bothered turning off or on any of the other features. It's just running stock settings.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's a completely different tangent. Has anyone lost cell/3G service while using GPS on google maps? It becomes completely useless due to the fact that now Google Maps can no longer refresh the maps I'm driving/walking along. Not much use for a mountain hike. I know where I am (technically, if you want to use lat/long) but can't see it on the map.

I have a 16gb card in this phone like most of us do. Why can't we download the map info onto our phone just like my tom-tom in my car? It holds the maps of the entire north american continent. Why can't my phone? No need to refresh maps.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Cuda

Upvote 0
Hey, new here. I wanted to share how I fixed my gps.

Before I could never get a lock on my gps but now its almost instant. Here's how I did it.

I downloaded the gps status app and noticed that I still couldn't get a lock onto the satellites. So I went into settings and turned off google locations and left the standalone gps setting on. Then I went back to gps status and I was able to lock onto the the satellites instantly. I also confirmed this by going into google maps and getting/using the instant navigation.

You can switch google locations back on if you want.

BUT, I tested my theory out by restarting my phone and left google locations on and once the phone restarted I turned on the standalone gps setting. Guess what, I couldn't get a lock in gps status or google nav for some reason. software issue (?)

I had to turn off google locations to lock on. So I just repeated the steps and it worked out.

It worked for me, let me know if it works for you.

Has anyone tried this yet? If you disable Google GPS then I can get a lock signal almost instantly, but other applications that require GPS don't work, for example Beautiful widgets, connecting to the www.google.com from your browser will tell you location unavailable.

What exactly is this Google GPS doing that is causing problems with the GPS?

Upvote 0
Ok, here's a completely different tangent. Has anyone lost cell/3G service while using GPS on google maps? It becomes completely useless due to the fact that now Google Maps can no longer refresh the maps I'm driving/walking along. Not much use for a mountain hike. I know where I am (technically, if you want to use lat/long) but can't see it on the map.

I have a 16gb card in this phone like most of us do. Why can't we download the map info onto our phone just like my tom-tom in my car? It holds the maps of the entire north american continent. Why can't my phone? No need to refresh maps.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Cuda
CoPilot Live puts the maps on your SD card. Takes about 2Gb. I am going to give it a try

Upvote 0
Cuba,
Try MapDroyd. You can download maps and use them offline. It doesn't have the GPS functions like google maps tho.

MapDroyd didn't work out. It did let you download the maps and use it offline but you have to zoom way in to see surface streets. Too close to be able to tell what's around you. Uninstalled it and downloaded another app called "maps (-)". I know. Kind of a generic name but it lets you use gps and caches the maps so you can use it offline. It's still a little glitchy but definitely better than mapdroyd. It will even cache google maps. I would suggest it as a backup when offline.

Cuda

Upvote 0
I would not call it normal but "not uncommon". There is a real range of variance amongst SF users and their GPS experience. Some of us are a few seconds others are a few minutes.
wow.. few seconds? that is really not fair..
Will next update fix this gps issue?
If they can't make all SF phones to take same amount of time to lock location, I have to consider returning this phone.
Can I exchange SF several times if it's within 30 days of purchase?
this 30 days period resets when I get exchange or I can exchange during the 30 days of first purchase?
I didn't wanna bother returning it 5 times to get normal phone..
but, if it's the only way to get NORMAL phone, I'll think about it.

Upvote 0
I just developed an issue with location based apps like Beautiful Widgets getting my geolocation. It works fine on some updates, but then can't find me on others. Not sure what the problem is.
OTD are you on TW or LP or ADW? I just got rid of TW yesterday and upon reboot BW wasnt working at all. But a little tinkering and its GTG again. Im thinking it was the removal of TW at first but perhaps it was a BW issue. I just realized Im on 3.14 and its up to 3.17 now :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones