• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Root Quicklinks on main page..

All Things Root Links on Main Page

• Remove, will save room and it's getting cluttered.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Keep, I use that!

Votes: 42 61.8%
  • Do whatever, I don't care.

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep it. definitely. Loads of experienced rooters here and loads of New rooters.

Its good to have a 1 stop shop for FAQ's and for questions around specific issues caused by rooting (not just rooting guides) that have an experienced, captive audience.

Just because rooting can be easy (actually nothing is infallible, I come across many people per week who can't get the 1-click tools to work), doesn't mean that there is no need for a dedicated sub forum

Its easy to get to it this way

Upvote 0
Keep It for sure, this might start a firestorm but its functionally the troubleshooting section even though that sub-topic has a dedicated thread as well. Reason: the above average phone user is often times rooted and he/she knows how to trouble shoot most problems based on personal experience. Quickly new members or less informed members know this and they end up asking their trouble shooting questions in the root section because thats where the help tends to gravitate.
Same thing happened at a competitors site [xda] their development sub-forum turned into troubleshooting Q&A simply because people with problems knew the brainiacs were in that section. They ended up cleaning it up but the point remains the same.

Also the idea from the OP that now that there are more rooters now its ok to get rid of root sub forums makes no sense to me. With more people rooted more people will need assistance when they their roots goes wrong or they need assistance with things like ROM's or kernels the non rooted are oblivious to.

Now perhaps Im misinterpreted the OP as well. Maybe you are saying removing the direct link from the main page but keep the subforum itself. If thats the case I guess do what you guys think is best. But if this issue is the removal of the root sub forum I vote strongly against dissolving the root section altogether

Upvote 0
If there's no link to the forum how do are people going to know its there?
The actual subforums within the device forums will still exist. Most users go straight to their phone forum anyways, and being as those subforums are at the top of the device phone, there shouldn't be any confusion.

The quick links are taking up precious real estate that could be used for something else:)

Upvote 0
The quick links are taking up precious real estate that could be used for something else:)

The list of links to each device below the "All Things Root" general link to the page of rooted devices listed seems not necessary.

Suppose just the All Things Root - Android Forums link was there on the main menu rather than each device named and linked right there?

All Things Root

vs

All Things Root (2 Viewing)
Links to Rooting Subforums
Sub-Forums:
subforum_link.gif
A1,
subforum_link.gif
Acclaim,
subforum_link.gif
Ascend,
subforum_link.gif
Ally,
subforum_link.gif
Apex,
subforum_link.gif
Aria,
subforum_link.gif
Axis,
subforum_link.gif
Backflip,
subforum_link.gif
Behold 2,
subforum_link.gif
Captivate,
subforum_link.gif
CHARM,
subforum_link.gif
Citrus,
subforum_link.gif
CLIQ,
subforum_link.gif
CLIQ XT,
subforum_link.gif
Continuum,
subforum_link.gif
Defy,
subforum_link.gif
Desire,
subforum_link.gif
Desire HD,
subforum_link.gif
Desire Z,
subforum_link.gif
Devour,
subforum_link.gif
Droid,
subforum_link.gif
Droid 2,
subforum_link.gif
Droid Pro,
subforum_link.gif
Droid X,
subforum_link.gif
Eris,
subforum_link.gif
Epic 4G,
subforum_link.gif
Eve,
subforum_link.gif
EVO 4G,
subforum_link.gif
Fascinate, etc..............(all devices as it is now)......................

Upvote 0
But I do think they're handy for new members and lurkers not familiar with the site

I concur with Dan on this 100%!

Given how many posts we have to move from the general phone sections to the four different subforums, it seems to me that most new members with questions tend to head to their phone's section first anyway (even if they never make it to the subforum). If I wanted to know about rooting my phone, my phone's specific section is definitely where I'd look first; coming out of my phone's section to find the rooting section specific to my phone isn't the obvious answer to me.

So I don't know how much value there is to the links on the main page for new members. (Just in my opinion of course).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones