All this information is overwhelming

Last Updated:

1. sbbamafan

sbbamafan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am in the US (Atlanta) with a CDMA Hero from Sprint. I have had it about 5 months and certain things are driving me crazy - LAG, crappy Bluetooth compatibility and lack of a proximity sensor. I have been told rooting is the only answer and it may be 'iffy'. I am overwhelmed and more confused by all the information available relating to rooting. I have searched and read what seems like a ton of it. I want to find a link for "Rooting and Installing Roms for Dummies". Can someone direct me to the best ROM for my needs. Bluetooth is important. I want it to sync my address book, dialed calls, missed calls, etc to my radio (Kenwood KDC-X994) like my wife's Blackberry does. As for the proximity sensor, I know there is no hardware but there is a market app that worked quite well with 1.5 but not at all with 2.1. I will be satisfied if this will work again. No point in talking about lag, I understand rooting will definitely remedy it.

How long should I expect to take to back up, root and load a rom - given that it is my first time, I am terrified and will be going REALLY slow?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement
  2. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

I cant answer the questions about the roms since you have a sprint phone and me the GSM htc one(and this is the htc - GSM thread)

But the time. I took me few days :D . Just cuz I got slowly to do and add and change some stuffs. ( root >>> first root app >>> unistalling sense >>> backup (see it should be actaully BEFORE the uninstalling :p) >>>overclocking >>> changing the stock rom >>> changing the recovery >>> froyo)

But all in all. If I did this without the scare wait :) it wouldnt take much more then one 1 hour even with a nandroid backup :) and you would be running a new custom rom.

This is how I did it. Wont include links. So you dont kill me if you do something to your phone :) (you have been warned!)

1. 1 click root = 2 mins with installing
    2. Installed rom manager and with it the amon ra recovery 10 mins and was a 1 click thing too (well 3 I got 3 times error till it pushed the amon ra there)
    3. did a nandroid backup (10 mins? less I guess)
    4. installed in the recovery the froyo rom (wipe, and update) (30 mins max)

5. optional if you did some backups apllying them, but since they were from stock to custom froyo with it a little careful so you dont get FC

In between this I used the titanium backup for my settings and some other backups for example for launcher pro etc. But I would give it all 2 hours max. I used all one click apps mostly NO ADB etc being a completely amateur. Maybe its not the cleanest way but worked for me :)

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Thread moved to Sprint Hero - All Things Root.

4. sbbamafan

What is ADB??

5. nedamdam

6. sbbamafan

So - in English - this looks like something an amatuer like me does not need. Correct??? I am not looking to 'develop' anything. I just want my phone to work...

7. nedamdam

Thats why I wrote you I didn't used it too :) All what I used were just apps and clicking. (Its not just for developping, you gain access to the phone with which you can do almost anything to it, if I understood it correctly))

8. jwpilly

jwpilly Well-Known Member

Welcome to the correct forum. At the top of this page are some stickies that tell you how to root your CDMA phone and flash a custom rom. Some of us in here are even using a modded version of Android 2.2. Let us know if you have any questions and DON'T FLASH A GSM ROM ONTO YOUR PHONE, or you may brick it. Remember the HTC hero has a gsm version and a cdma version. If your carrier is sprint, you have a cdma hero. I'm pretty sure nedamdam has a gsm hero.

9. nedamdam

You are correct, thats why nedamdam told him right in his first post he wont help him with the ROMS since he isnt not a CDMA user :)

But thanks for the hint :D , he will change his info so there is no confusion in the future.

10. LLWesMan

LLWesMan Well-Known Member

Count me among the overwhelmed. I have my hero in my hand. Now what? Is there a walkthrough anywhere that goes through every little action?

11. ashley82303

ashley82303 Active Member

12. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Don't worry, we all started out as noobs. It's not as overwhelming as it looks.

Step 1: Relax. :)

Then, just read the guide(s) in advance, and be sure to click all the links the files you'll need. Either install them or deposit them to the right place (quite often it's the tools folder of the Android SDK). take your time, copy/paste ADB commands, and always, repeat: ALWAYS make a nandroid backup as soon as you've flashed the recovery image, and before you flash any new ROM or kernel.

There are automated options to rooting your phone in one click, but IMO, it makes a lot of sense to do it manually the first time. That way, you'll get a basic understanding of the process and familiarity with the steps. Later, should something go wrong (stuff happens!) and you have to restore a nandroid or get yourself out of some other jam, you'll know your way around. The screens will be familiar and navigating them will less intimidating.

This is good community, there's a lot of good natured support here. Remember step 1.

13. LLWesMan

LLWesMan Well-Known Member

I've reached this step:

You should now see
    # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    #

This means it was a successful flash.

But I'm seeing an additional line:

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00320000
    #

What should I do now!? Is it safe to move on to the next step?

14. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

I would try flashing the image again. If the error messages persist, I would download the recovery image from a mirror or another source, then try to flash it once again.

Here are some alternate links and mirrors:
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    Mirror: http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (looks like the same link, but actually different)
    Mirror: http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2-blue.img

15. clutch_08

clutch_08 Member