1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

All this ROOT and no apps to play with :(

1. jlgarr86

jlgarr86 Well-Known Member

Kyocera RiSE
    Rooted with BusyBox
    ICS stock rom (unfortunately)

so what is the point of rooting when your phone isn't capable with RomManager, ClockworkMod, or SetCPU?

you tell me because as it stands all i can do is freeze system apps, uninstall bloat, browse system files, and don't forget the ever powerful disable boot animation -_-

Advertisement
    :
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Performing a Factory Reset will probably solve the apps freezing issue...

Otherwise if your device isn't popular Dev's will not produce ROM's for it :(
  3. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

You should know what you can do before rooting....

Back on topic, you have a device which isn't popular, for good reasons. Most people root to create backups, flash custom ROMs, and have more control over the processor. If you want to take advantage of the good stuff, get a mainstream phone.
  4. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Well-Known Member

Greeting jlgarr86,

Apps aren't written with root in mind, apps are written and root is needed to get full functionality. All root does, is give you total access to your device. That's it.

In your case, unfortunately you have a low/mid grade phone. The developers of the apps that you mentioned, tend to work on devices that are going to give them the most benefit for their time and work. If a lot of people aren't going to be using the device, then the odds of the developers creating versions of their apps that will work on that device is minimal.

So for you, root is best served by doing exactly what you seem to be unhappy about it only being able to do. You may not get a custom rom for your device, but you can at least be able to remove some of the useless bloat and apps that you normally couldn't.

Edit...

Boy I type too slow, lol
  5. jlgarr86

my apps don't freeze unless i want them too.

also could someone list some of the mainstream phones that devs are supporting and developing for more often? also what is a good substitute for backing up without clockwork and nandroid?
  6. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

There isn't a good backup that isn't NANdroid. That is the only TRUE full backup. However, you can backup apps with Titanium or MyBackup Pro (my preferred).

If you see an advertisement for it, odds are good there are developers. Samsung, HTC, Motorola are the big ones. LG to a lesser degree. Think like a developer. You would want a great phone, not a throwaway $100 phone.
  7. jlgarr86

Well said :) I'm still upset i won't be doing any full system back-ups.
  8. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member

Hey jlgarr86, I agree with what everyone else here is telling you. In fact, I've never heard of your phone which means it's not one of the popular android phones, therefore, probably neither have most other android enthusiasts/developers. If that's the case, what you could do is check out a few developer websites to see if they are building custom roms for your phone. The best site that I know about is - Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers Once you are on that site, you can do a search for your device to see much information, if any, about your phone that is being done, including custom roms, updates, custom software and others. This is where you could also see which devices the developers are spending time on due to the demands of others and the best devices around. Also, if you want to see a list of root related apps, just perform a search in the google play store for the word - root. That should produce some information to assist you with the particular apps that were made especially for rooted devices. Hope this helps.
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Basically, the mainstream phones that devs love developing for are the flagships and the Nexus phones. The Galaxy S series and the Razr Maxx series for example. I do understand that the latest versions are quite expensive, but you can get a second hand older model. An HTC Desire, Nexus S and Galaxy SI is pretty cheap nowadays. A Galaxy Nexus has its price dropping because of the release of the Nexus 4.