AllShare DLNA "Unsupported format" for .mp3 from Windows Media Player 12Support

Last Updated:

1. gbrown321

gbrown321 New Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 22, 2010
    Samsung Galaxy S getting "Unsupported file format" on .mp3s in AllShare (DLNA).

Want to stream music from Windows 7 computer to Android device.

Connected AllShare to Windows Media Player 12 over WiFi G network to "Play file from server on my phone". I can browse PC media folders from the Galaxy S.

In AllShare, I click an .MP3 from my PC library, add it to the AllShare playlist, then the circle spins for about 10 seconds and I finally get the pop-up error "Unsupported file format."

All .mp3's are DRM-free unprotected files. They play fine directly from the MicroSD card through the standard Android Music app.

Disconnected/reconnected WiFi, same results.

Read a few other posts on various forums -- a few people have the same issue. Looks like fewer are even trying to use DLNA like this.

Heard plenty of "hypothetical" troubleshooting steps but still searching for someone who's actually tried the steps & got it to work. Some had success with other DLNA media servers or by using different software altogether -- I want to specifically stream music from a PC to my SGS using DLNA & WMP. Great for portability.

Any "dittos"? Resolutions??

By the way this device is AWESOME (Sprint Epic 4G) :D Also I realize this post is verbose; I want it to easily appear for others' search results. Please feel free to copy, paste & post in a more appropriate forum or thread. THANK YOU!!!!

2. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010

mogo22 Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I have a Samsung TV with Allshare. I've tried many different DLNA servers with it. Samsungs own server PC Share Manager is the only one that would work for me 100% of the time. I never get any drop outs or unsupported format messages.

I use it to now stream video ,pics and audio to my phone and it is rock solid.
    The program is pretty bare bones though. You also have to build your data base when you first start. This can take a long time. Seriously if you're going to do it, do it before bed so you can let it do it's thing overnight.

Everytime you add files you have to refresh the DB. It doesn't take that long but it's a pain in the ass and there's not option I saw for an auto refresh.

From what I've discovered Samsung does their own thing with DLNA that makes it difficult to get it working with other DLNA servers.

Mezzmo is pretty good, give that a try as well.
  4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    WMP 12 streaming was working for me. But now it has stopped. Not sure why. Going to have to use PC share manager and XMBC instead.