Ally a good choice for my wife?Support

Last Updated:

1. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

Nov 2, 2009
    I've had the droid since day 1. My wife has a regular phone but is looking to move to a smartphone, and we are locked in with Verizon (and I hate ATT/Iphone anyway). In particular she likes the idea of the Google Maps with Nav for when she travels, and she uses gmail as her personal mail and I am all google these days so for me its a no-brainer to go with an Android phone. The droid is probably too big/bulky for her....droid X even bigger. Incredible would be OK, but we are going to either pay full retail or buy off eBay so Ally is a more affordable option by far.

I've read about signal loss and killing the battery which is a concern. I am aware of the exchange issues but that isn't going to matter....neither is upgrades or memory as she's not going to be gaming or downloading lots of apps anyway.

So the question is, is the Ally a "safe bet", or is it going to be problematic and not worth the hassle?

2. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    It's pretty hit or miss on the Hardware. My wife and I have had no issues but you'll read alot of people that have constant reboot issues.
  3. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    The Ally would be a great phone for her. If you set the settings correctly and the launch screen with shortcuts to family phone number it will serve her well. Picking the right 'main' apps is also important.

I highly recommend ChompsSMS for messaging and DolphinHD for a browser.
    The Ally has nicely curved edges, is not too heavy and the keyboard is a bonus.

Personally, I think this phone is a great value. All this hype about high end Android phones only applies to certain people but for a great 'smart' phone....this is the one.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I've been around the block with this phone.
  4. Madd Dogg

Madd Dogg Active Member

Nov 16, 2010
    My wife loves the Ally. We have had them for 6 months now and she is content with it. She's never used a smart phone before untill the Ally. Now she's playing games and all that.

Yes the keyboard is a big plus i think. Great choice for first time "smart phoners". Very user friendly and i have encountered a low end of mis haps but i think its due to us receiving re-ferbed devices from Verizon. Give it a shot i bet she'll love it.

I would recomended it