• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ally at End Of Life per Verizon Wireless

Hey guys just got word today that the LG Ally is at the End of life for verizon so they will no longer sell the ally and it will be replaced with the LG Vortex which is a worse phone in my opinion. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up from what info I get thanks guys.

They will still replace Ally's with refurbished Ally's. Everytime a person has to return their Ally to get a new one, they fix the broken one and it gets redistributed.

Upvote 0
ROM and RAM are the same on the two phones, the screen is a HVGA not a WVGA, no physical keyboard, 2 GB micro sd card not 4, alittle more onboard memory yes but not by much, and the vortex looks cheap to me this phone looks much sharper, maybe its just my opinion but the ally seems like a much more viable source except without 2.2 but with a2sd and roms for the ally it runs great, if we get a 2.2 port from the vortex that might be the only thing ally users will love from this phone.

Upvote 0
ROM and RAM are the same on the two phones, the screen is a HVGA not a WVGA, no physical keyboard, 2 GB micro sd card not 4, alittle more onboard memory yes but not by much, and the vortex looks cheap to me this phone looks much sharper, maybe its just my opinion but the ally seems like a much more viable source except without 2.2 but with a2sd and roms for the ally it runs great, if we get a 2.2 port from the vortex that might be the only thing ally users will love from this phone.

Wrong thread....

Upvote 0
If you look at the other thread "LG lied about update" on this forum. Couple of guys are saying that Optimus/vortex phones have 512Mb RAM memory and better processing architecture for graphics (possibly separate GPU).
I think vortex has 512Mb memory though I can't seem to find a source right now, I remember seeing that info somewhere before. Not sure if it's true that vortex has better processing architecture for graphics compared to CPU alone in Ally. The point is it's more powerful in memory and/or processor than Ally.

Upvote 0
If you look at the other thread "LG lied about update" on this forum. Couple of guys are saying that Optimus/vortex phones have 512Mb RAM memory and better processing architecture for graphics (possibly separate GPU).
I think vortex has 512Mb memory though I can't seem to find a source right now, I remember seeing that info somewhere before. Not sure if it's true that vortex has better processing architecture for graphics compared to CPU alone in Ally. The point is it's more powerful in memory and/or processor than Ally.

You are still posting in the wrong thread....

Upvote 0
GRZLA. Well, if this is wrong thread for my previous post, where is the correct one?
Also you still didn't answer my question in the other thread. How exactly Vortex's processing architecture is better/different than Ally's and where is the source/link on it? It coule be right or wrong. I'm just asking for the source/references to confirm it.

Upvote 0
Kind of a bummer. I can't believe the Ally doesn't get more support. One of the best physical keyboards available right now. I don't care how good touch screen technology gets, I will always like physical keys for messaging.

I agree with the comments above that the Vortex looks like a cheap toy. People hated on the Ally's looks when it first came out, but these newer LG phones look even chunkier and less appealing.

Hopefully the user community keeps supporting the Ally with ROMs and such. It's a really good phone, I'm disappointed in the support it has gotten from Verizon and LG.

I used to want to shoot myself with how often the LG Ally Iron Man commercials were on TV. They hyped this thing like crazy and then abandoned it.

Maybe sticking with the officially branded "DROID" phones like the Motos and HTCs would have been smarter. :(

Upvote 0
Kind of a bummer. I can't believe the Ally doesn't get more support. One of the best physical keyboards available right now. I don't care how good touch screen technology gets, I will always like physical keys for messaging.

I agree with the comments above that the Vortex looks like a cheap toy. People hated on the Ally's looks when it first came out, but these newer LG phones look even chunkier and less appealing.

Hopefully the user community keeps supporting the Ally with ROMs and such. It's a really good phone, I'm disappointed in the support it has gotten from Verizon and LG.

I used to want to shoot myself with how often the LG Ally Iron Man commercials were on TV. They hyped this thing like crazy and then abandoned it.

Maybe sticking with the officially branded "DROID" phones like the Motos and HTCs would have been smarter. :(

I wouldn't put down Vortex that quick. At least it has 2.2 with more memory. If you look in Optimus forums, they all seem to rave about it. I agree on the Ally's keyboard. It's one of the best in android phones. It's a bit disappointing that Ally is getting poor support from LG. I will check out Vortex at store soon to see if its HVGA 3.2" screen is fine for me and how responsive it is.

As for the LG phones in general, I like their build/call quality and their not adding UI to stock android unlike Samsung, HTC, Motorola. I think they will seriously step up their android offerings soon beginning with dual core T2, 4G LTE phone early next year.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that the Vortex screen is very poor. Smaller resolution equates to poor text display. Very pixelated text on web pages. The screen size is smaller as well. The phone is however a bit smoother going from home screen to home screen and scrolling through the app list, but I saw no major improvement in scrolling up and down web pages. Not a bad little phone, but the display problem would be a deal killer for me personally. Others may not notice it as much.

Upvote 0
I know that HVGA resolution is lower than WVGA no doubt. Ally has the same resolution as Dinc, Fascinate in smaller 3.2" screen, so it looks very sharp. I just want to see if looking at HVGA on 3.2" is bearable for me or not. Screen size is the same in terms of diagonal length 3.2". Only the aspect ratio is different, so vortex screen is shorter and wider than Ally.

Upvote 0
I hated my Ally but the Vortex is SO MUCH WORSE! I have sold quite a few people the vortex and have had quite a few exchanges too. The thing I HATE about the Vortex is the keyboard. It really is small! The Launcher would take some getting used to also.
But the phone itself seems very sturdy.

At my store we no longer carry the Ally. SO yeah Ally is dead

Upvote 0
They will still replace Ally's with refurbished Ally's. Everytime a person has to return their Ally to get a new one, they fix the broken one and it gets redistributed.

I don't know man. I know they will do that for a while, but eventually they will discontinue the Ally completely. Just like If you have a BB Storm that messes up right now, you get a Storm 2 as the replacement. And I'm not sure if it's taken effect yet, but the Droid 2 is or will be the replacement for the Droid. This is from my best friend that's a manager at a Verizon home office.
They can only back stock older equipment for so long.

Upvote 0
I don't know man. I know they will do that for a while, but eventually they will discontinue the Ally completely. Just like If you have a BB Storm that messes up right now, you get a Storm 2 as the replacement. And I'm not sure if it's taken effect yet, but the Droid 2 is or will be the replacement for the Droid. This is from my best friend that's a manager at a Verizon home office.
They can only back stock older equipment for so long.

With as many problems as our phone has, I can assure you they have a lot of refurbished ones ready to send as replacements. When they run out, they will probably replace it with a vortex.

Upvote 0
Are you still using Allys for waranty replacements at your store?

Yes Ally's are still given out on warranty and insurance claims. It has nothing to do with the actual store. Most stores don't keep refurb Ally's in stock. They are shipped from warehouses to your address via FedEx. Just got one last week on warranty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones