1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Ally GPS -- true GPS or a-GPS?Support

1. garybeck

garybeck Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm considering getting an unlocked LG Ally and using it with a non-data (voice/text only) account. I did this with a different phone once and it worked great until the phone died. I don't need the data account, if I can get on wifi...

One of my questions is about the GPS on the Ally. The LG website doesn't explain any details. does anyone know if it is a true GPS or if it is a-GPS, which uses the cellphone towers to locate your position?

In order to get full functionality of the GPS and particular with no data account, I really need it to be a true GPS, and if it has a-GPS assist, I need to be able to disable that and just use the GPS.

I would install Garmin or some other third-party GPS program.

Can anyone let me know what type of GPS it has and if I should run into any problems doing what I've outlined here?

thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Well-Known Member

It's assisted
  3. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member

It uses Real satellites through a Real Gps and/or can use wireless towers to help find your location. Now... the assisted part is, Google maps caches the maps it uses as you drive... That is, the maps are not permanently stored on your phone. Only the ones it needs at the time are downloaded and used, which is why its "assisted". But you can also say its assisted by Cellular towers if you enable it also.
  4. garybeck

garybeck Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I don't like Google Maps. With my other phone I installed Garmin Mobile which puts all the maps on your phone and you don't need a data account, wifi, or even cellular reception, to use the GPS. the way it should be... just like a gps in your car, which doesn't need any other type of connection to operate.

some phones, as I understand, say they have a gps but they only have a-GPS. this means that they use cellphone tower info to determine your location, not satellites. some have both GPS and a-GPS. some have only traditional GPS. I need to make sure the Ally has a traditional GPS and if it has a-GPS too, that it can be disabled or at least operate without phone reception, as long as I use Garmin and not Google Maps.

seems like ccsoccer03 says it has both and k.c.cole says it only has a-GPS. I have to make sure 100% before I buy this phone. Anyone positive? You'd think they would show it on the LG website but they don't.
  5. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

According to this it has AGPS and SGPS. LG Ally specs - Phone Arena

However, i used my ally at one point unactivated testing my "gps fix" i had wifi connected. but getting location from mobile networks was disabled. so it should work.
    but its up to you whether you believe it or take it with a grain of salt.
  6. Matt's 175

Matt's 175 Well-Known Member

Just curious. How do you do that? When We got our Allys, they said we HAD to buy the 3G data plan.
  7. ml_nelson

ml_nelson Active Member

The understanding of the "a" in a-GPS is incorrect. "Assisted" in a-GPS has nothing to do with cashing Google maps.

The "Assistence" is (see Wikipedia also) "supply orbital data ..for GPS satellites to the GPS receiver..."

In practice, the Ally needs a data link (either cellular or WiFi) to get a GPS lock. If you have the app "GPS Status" you can see and force the update of GPS Assistence Data.
  8. ownzordage

ownzordage Member

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread, but I thought this would be useful to others. I used my Ally as a GPS deep in the Rocky Mountains this past summer without any problems (besides battery life, which I solved by having 5 extra battery packs). Whether or not its assisted, it must have some real GPS as well in order to function this well. For most of the time I didn't have any cell connection whatsoever.
  9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

aGPS tends to compliment the regular GPS to help it acquire a lock more quickly. It's not inferior in any way, just an additional source of info your phone can use to get a lock. Once your phone has an initial lock it should be able to hold it without much issue at all.

So long story short :) both the preceding two posts are probably correct.

It may be that in most cases you will want the extra aGPS data to help your phone get a lock (nearly all phones use aGPS + GPS). However, hiking in the mountains could mean you get some great unobstructed views of the satellites as well as almost no other background radio interference. Thus you may get a lock faster than in normal suburban or urban areas.