1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Ally not available

1. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member

It seems that Verizon has found the solution for us Ally folks, just make it unavailable. I just checked their website and it's listed as not available, I called and playing dumb I told the Customer Service rep that my phone wasn't working right anymore, (more playing dumb for several minutes and a couple of transfers), was told they did not have anymore Ally's to ship as replacements and would most likely get a "comparable replacement" to replace it. I told him I'd see what I could do here locally and go from there. Not sure as to how true his "no Ally's to replace yours" statement is, but if so looks like we'd better be real careful of the ones we got so we don't get put into a "comparable replacement" that probably can't be rooted....

Advertisement
  2. Diragono

Diragono Member

I was just on the Verizon website, and it still shows the Ally available. It is $49.99 with a new two year agreement. Not sure what website your looking at...
  3. lightningdude

lightningdude Well-Known Member

It could be location-based availability. Don't ask me why, it's just a guess. I know Verizon likes doing certain things based on what part of the country you're in.
  4. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member

I was checking the verizonwireless site (verizon not some market site) and it has red bars over the Ally and 3 others that say not available. Probably due to my location (central Ga they don't like us hicks to have anything good) but after I saw that that's why I called them to find out, I figured if it was available in other area's then I should be able to get a replacement if mine was truely dead but was told they could send me a comparable replacement that is "like new". Could be that they have limited stock in certain area's and are trying to push folks into the newer/latest/greatest (they did try to get me to take an early upgrade and suggested the Iphone as a "better" replacement - yeah right) that's locked down and can't be played with and made useable, yes they did ask what my number was and asked me if my address was correct, so it probably is something to do with where I am located. Just thought I'd pass it along just in case. Hopefully if anyone has an Ally go bad they can get another replacement through them and not get told they're going to have to upgrade...
  5. xtcvapor

xtcvapor Well-Known Member

What comparable replacement is there? I want a slide out keyboard and Android 2.2 or later.... Droid 2? Droid 3?
  6. imnotmikal

imnotmikal ROM Developer

Who says Verizon's idea of comparable is the same as yours?

I bet their "replacement" is the LG Cosmos. In Verizon's eyes, they are both LG, touch screen, slide out QWERTY keyboard phones.
  7. lightningdude

lightningdude Well-Known Member

Oh, I just checked Verizon's site and, in my area, at least, it says the LG Ally is currently unavailable. My warranty ends today, though, so I'll end up with an insurance replacement after this. They probably still have replacements, but I'm kind of curious to see what Verizon calls a "comparable replacement."
  8. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

They will more than likely have refurbished Ally's for replacement around for a good while yet. If something happened to mine I would certainly prefer another Ally over something like a Vortex.
  9. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member

I have no idea what kind of comparable replacement they were talking about, I had tried to press them as to what it would be and all they said is that it would be comparable to the equipment I had, and what they had available. Since my phone wasn't bad, I told them I'd check around here locally and see what I could find. I was being curious since I saw that they were unavailable in my area on the website. I seriously doubt they would give out a droid, or droid2, they would probably give you another phone that would be worse than the Ally - my luck they'd send me a blackberry.... LOL
  10. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Well-Known Member

Not available for me either. Northern California here.
  11. Kiwasad

Kiwasad Active Member

For me the Ally isn't available as well as the Vortex. There goes that idea.
  12. Valkerie

Valkerie Well-Known Member

Heck, the Verizon website says they don't even have service in my part of MN anymore. WTF, nothing like letting a customer know.
  13. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Well-Known Member

people with OG Droids began getting Droid2' as replacements. so one can hope it would actually be something better. usually if you play your cards right you can get something better
  14. DoctorZaius68

DoctorZaius68 Well-Known Member

Maybe they will replace with a Binged-out Samsung Continuum.
  15. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Well-Known Member

I seriously wanna know what they are going to replace it with...
  16. FinalStorm

FinalStorm Active Member

My girlfriend's father got the Ally the day or to after I got mine, he just loved it. However 2 weeks ago his screen FLEW off while opening the K/B. Unfortunately our precious Allys are no longer available in the area to replace it, but there was hope, his replacement was.........

The HTC Incredible 2

Surprising hua.

Hopefully I'll get one too, I having my replaced as well due to the headset jack not working.

East Providence RI
  17. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Well-Known Member

Haha my headset jack doesnt work! And an incredible 2 would be sweet! An original incredible would be almost just as good. Lets hope you're as lucky.
  18. FinalStorm

FinalStorm Active Member

Hopefully I'll be as lucky. I love my ally and its keybord (It reminds me of my "CrackBerry" days.) But an Incredible would be uber awesome! Or they just send me another ally, which would be fine as well.

I'll let you all know how it turns out next Monday or Tuesday when my replacement comes in.
  19. remicks

remicks ROM Developer

I don't even see the Ally on the VZW site anymore...
  20. WhyMyAlly

WhyMyAlly Well-Known Member

I'm sure the ally lived its short course with verizon. They want to get everyone out of two year old equipment and into new un crackable shit. Once our awesome devs figures out their scheme they just quit selling the hardware and come out with something new
  21. FinalStorm

FinalStorm Active Member

Hey everybody. I got my new phone from Big Red on Monday. Unfortunately it was another Ally. What I gather is if you call VZW Tech Support they will just send you another Ally, but if you go into a store, such as my girlfriend's father did, chances are you will receive a new device such as a Dinc2, instead of an Ally. I'm guessing due to lack of stock in most stores.

I did find something quite interesting though. Under the battery the new Ally's H/W REV. is at 1.1; my original Ally is at H/W REV. 1.0. I wonder what that means.
  22. brons2

brons2 Well-Known Member

I walked into the Verizon store today and they had Allys, for $157 with a new 2 year contract. Sheesh! I like Velocity and the great work that the devs do, but $157? Really?

Even with Velocity there are some major shortcomings on this device, like no flash for one. I played with a Samsung Continuum in the store and it was way faster than the Ally. (unfortunately, that device seems to be stuck on 2.1, so it's no bueno also).

Verizon's phones are just too expensive in general, I think.