Ally V9 SW update.Support

Last Updated:

1. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

How do you get this update? Will it come OTA eventually or do you need to manually install it? I just did a check for updates on my phone and it didn't list any available updates.

3. gndmepyon

Right now it is only a manual update. Rumor has it that it is in Verizon's hands for testing before it is released as an OTA update.

The manual updater can be downloaded here: Mobile Phone Support . I used the on Windows 7 X32. This biggest thing I can say is remember to remove the SD Card and enable USB Debugging (settings->development) also enable Stay Awake under the same menu.

After the update immediately noticeable is the new design for the Think Free app. Also the inclusion of a Corporate Calendar app. The phone seems a bit snappier. Not really faster but slightly more responsive. It still required "airplane mode" fix to be used. Also I'm seeing marginally better free memory levels.

4. flyinjoe13

Thanks for the info.

I seem to be having some issues with the software. It installs fine and I get the usb drivers installed, but when I start the update, it tells me to disconnect the phone so it can update the usb drivers and then it hangs on the usb driver update screen. I've tried in with XP, Vista and Windows 7 and it does the same thing. Can't seem to find a way around the updating usb drivers part. I might have to wait for the OTA update.

Check that, I just let it sit there for about 10 minutes and I finally got a notice about not being able to connect to the server. This might be an LG server problem more than something i'm doing wrong.

5. gndmepyon

On the LG forums this has been noted along with a solution.

Posted By Devil505
    I had the same problem, but someone mentioned a work around in another thread. Turn off you internet connection as it starts the usb driver download. It will cancel out, click the start update button again, and then reconnect to the internet.

Hope that helps

6. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

Wonder what this update will do to a rooted ally?

7. flyinjoe13

I read on another forum that it will unroot the phone and that same person said they couldn't get the root reinstalled.

8. kahmikahze

kahmikahze Active Member

I just got off work, and when I went to turn my phone on/bring out of airplane mode, the update shows up. So, of course I d/l it before looking on the forum.

I got the same indications as the member above (thinkfree icon and corporate) along with an update for Facebook. However it will unroot your phone. When I get home, I will t/s this, and reportback with details.

9. Bobby2x

Bobby2x Member

I did the update and now every time I press menu key I get amy camera popping up? Anyone else having this problem?
    Mine said 2.2 !

10. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member

Got a message on the Ally to do an update to 2.1 which I did. Worked like a charm. Might be my imagination playing tricks on me but it seems snappier, more responsive and the 'back/cancel' key seems more responsive. Time will tell.

11. kahmikahze

kahmikahze Active Member

you can root it again. Repeat the steps.

12. flyinjoe13

Thanks. I will pass this info along on another forum because someone was asking about it. Since I haven't rooted mine (mostly because I can't seem to get the steps to work properly), I wasn't sure it could be done after the update.

13. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with many above, the phone does feel slightly quicker with this recent update. It's no 2.2, but hopefully some interest develops for building and getting a custom 2.2 install going.

14. Bobby2x

Bobby2x Member

no one is having issues with camera popping up? thinking about doing the ota update on wifes phone but afraid she will have the issue! I even formated it again. and same problem! i get the menu to pop up. But the the camera starts up every-time!!! GRRR its annoying!

15. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

check your shortcut key settings in settings>applications>quick launch

16. JMF_Droid

JMF_Droid Well-Known Member

My wife's Ally keeps saying it is up to date, but when I check it, it says v8 not v9! Hmmm...IDK what to do next. It keeps randomly rebooting and dying when the battery isn't even dead!

17. flyinjoe13

V8 is the version you'll get with the OTA update. If you want V9, you have to do the manual update. That is of course unless LG changed the version they offer on their support page. I did my update manually on Saturday and it was V9.

As for the random reboots, I don't have any suggestions for that.

18. gndmepyon

V9 wasn't supposed to be released. it was mistakenly put out on their manual updater. It has since been removed. V8 is the "official" update version.

19. flyinjoe13

I see. So I wonder if I will be okay with a version that wasn't supposed to be installed. So far I have had no issues so I gotta figure i'm going to be fine.

20. craby1925

craby1925 Member

Someone else had this problem, they had an update, and they got it updated and now it does the exact same thing, so you know, your not alone

21. vdubbin21

vdubbin21 Member

Anyone else seem to have the problem of stuff constantly running in the backround since this update? If i go into my app killer and kill everything i can go back in like a couple mins later to find the same random stuff running again. Like amazon, back up assit, clock and so on. My phone wasnt like that before. that stuff would only show if i restarted my phone then i just kill them and they are done. kinda frustrating.

22. death2all110

i chose to accept the update and it starts to install then stops halfway thru reboots and still says v6? i tried the manual update and it says no update available. can someone upload the update file to rapidshare or something? its in your C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX in a folder something like PSW or should be

thanks!

ha ha nevermind. i love windows 7's previous version feature. it restored the v9 file. anyway to push it to the phone now? like from the sdcard?

23. scotttkd

scotttkd Member

24. travel_rob

travel_rob Member

I'm having a similar problem - the update needed popup bugged the daylights out of me this morning, and when I finally said it was OK to do the update, it started the process, rebooted the phone, and did nothing. The phone now says there is no OS update available. What the heck is going on?:confused:

25. death2all110

i wonder if lg pulled the update? but its irritating because the manual updater doesn't list the phone. it doesn't recognize it. says phone model is ineligible for update but on the lg website the lg ally vs740 is listed as one of the phones an update is available. Verizon doesn't know shit (go figure) anyway to manually update through the SD card? like with an update.zip? i did a factory restore and my phone notified me of the update again but still failed at updating the software shows the exclamation in a triangle and reboots.