• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ally V9 SW update.

Right now it is only a manual update. Rumor has it that it is in Verizon's hands for testing before it is released as an OTA update.

The manual updater can be downloaded here: Mobile Phone Support . I used the on Windows 7 X32. This biggest thing I can say is remember to remove the SD Card and enable USB Debugging (settings->development) also enable Stay Awake under the same menu.

After the update immediately noticeable is the new design for the Think Free app. Also the inclusion of a Corporate Calendar app. The phone seems a bit snappier. Not really faster but slightly more responsive. It still required "airplane mode" fix to be used. Also I'm seeing marginally better free memory levels.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.

I seem to be having some issues with the software. It installs fine and I get the usb drivers installed, but when I start the update, it tells me to disconnect the phone so it can update the usb drivers and then it hangs on the usb driver update screen. I've tried in with XP, Vista and Windows 7 and it does the same thing. Can't seem to find a way around the updating usb drivers part. I might have to wait for the OTA update.

Check that, I just let it sit there for about 10 minutes and I finally got a notice about not being able to connect to the server. This might be an LG server problem more than something i'm doing wrong.

Upvote 0
On the LG forums this has been noted along with a solution.

Posted By Devil505
I had the same problem, but someone mentioned a work around in another thread. Turn off you internet connection as it starts the usb driver download. It will cancel out, click the start update button again, and then reconnect to the internet.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
I just got off work, and when I went to turn my phone on/bring out of airplane mode, the update shows up. So, of course I d/l it before looking on the forum.

I got the same indications as the member above (thinkfree icon and corporate) along with an update for Facebook. However it will unroot your phone. When I get home, I will t/s this, and reportback with details.

Upvote 0
no one is having issues with camera popping up? thinking about doing the ota update on wifes phone but afraid she will have the issue! I even formated it again. and same problem! i get the menu to pop up. But the the camera starts up every-time!!! GRRR its annoying!
check your shortcut key settings in settings>applications>quick launch

Upvote 0
Anyone else seem to have the problem of stuff constantly running in the backround since this update? If i go into my app killer and kill everything i can go back in like a couple mins later to find the same random stuff running again. Like amazon, back up assit, clock and so on. My phone wasnt like that before. that stuff would only show if i restarted my phone then i just kill them and they are done. kinda frustrating.

Upvote 0
i chose to accept the update and it starts to install then stops halfway thru reboots and still says v6? i tried the manual update and it says no update available. can someone upload the update file to rapidshare or something? its in your C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX in a folder something like PSW or should be

thanks!

ha ha nevermind. i love windows 7's previous version feature. it restored the v9 file. anyway to push it to the phone now? like from the sdcard?

Upvote 0
i chose to accept the update and it starts to install then stops halfway thru reboots and still says v6? i tried the manual update and it says no update available. can someone upload the update file to rapidshare or something? its in your C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX in a folder something like PSW or should be[/QUOTE
thanks!

Had same exact issue with the OTA update, tried to go in and do the update through the manual updater program on winxp, and now it no longer recognizes the phone....tried a uninstall and reinstall and same results.....when trying to install the usb drivers there is no verizon selection.......what the heck

Upvote 0
i wonder if lg pulled the update? but its irritating because the manual updater doesn't list the phone. it doesn't recognize it. says phone model is ineligible for update but on the lg website the lg ally vs740 is listed as one of the phones an update is available. Verizon doesn't know shit (go figure) anyway to manually update through the SD card? like with an update.zip? i did a factory restore and my phone notified me of the update again but still failed at updating the software shows the exclamation in a triangle and reboots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones