• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Almost 0 luck transferring media to my android.

Ben WIlliam

Lurker
May 25, 2015
Hey there. New Android user, and I bought it specifically for Media usage. Here's my problem:

I first installed 'kies', assuming I needed some sort of program to upload from mac to android. My first error I encountered was that when I put a bunch of songs in a playlist, it would get to about 90 or so and just stop. And even with a less amount of songs, it has happened. Unless the number is very low, like say 10. What's going on?

I'm not done there. So, looking for an alternative I realized you can just use the android file transferapp. HOWEVER, everytime I plug in my android it gives the message 'Cannot connect to device. Try reconnecting or restarting your device' I've reconnected it countless times, and restarted both my computer and android and still the same thing.

I recently just posted a similar post to this. And I did get some help, advising me to use Airdroid. So I did, and the same problem!! WTF is wrong with my Android?!

Macs have no usb drivers. USB drivers are strictly a Windows idiocy - no Unix based operating system needs them, ever. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Samsung treats Macs as an afterthought (the Mac Keis drivers aren't what you think, uninstall them) and that Macs lack MTP - the media transfer protocol for usb media transfer - because it's a Microsoft protocol for which they simply will not provide native support.

Android first started using MTP back in Honeycomb and has provided this tool -

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/filetransfer/

It works for most Mac-Android users.

However - Apple updates have been known to break it and Samsung in the past has not been above violating the MTP standard and blaming others.

Try that, it's one of your best free alternatives.

More robust alternatives are available for a price, Google for: OS X MTP.

An altogether easier way would probably be to use AirDroid.

When you bring it up on your Mac Internet browser and it asks you to make an account, if your Mac and phone are on the same wifi network, X out the pop up window telling you to create an account. The pairing dialog will no longer be hidden - point your phone camera at the QR code on your screen while running AirDroid, file transfer or any other setup option, on your phone.

The app will guide you through the instructions for the most part.

No wires, no apps on your Mac (you don't need their app), just use your browser to get to your phone and the Finder to get to your files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones