• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Almost everything disappeared from my home screen

Just a few minutes ago, I was using my droid to navigate myself back to my hotel, and all was well. But as I was walking back to my room, I looked at my droid and was surprised to see that the home screen suddenly looked completely different.

The photo I had chosen for the wallpaper was gone and replaced by this grey-and-black bulls' eye design. (I think it's the default.) Not only that, but almost all of my app icons had disappeared! Gone are Whatsapp, Camera, Navigation, Facebook, Browser, etc. The only ones left are Email, Contacts, Messaging, Wallet, Shopper, and Market. (Curious--"Market" was not on there before and has the same icon as GooglePlay, which was on there before.)

I looked under Manage Apps and most of them that have disappeared from the home screen are still there (I did not see Navigation, however).

So what happened here? I didn't do anything new or different with my droid. And how do I get everything back onto my home screen? Ugh. Thank you!

Google Navigation has disappeared from everyone's screen.:(
It is integrated deep within Google Maps now.:rolleyes:

As for your screen changing on it's own, it sounds like your third party launcher, (or perhaps your phone itself) probably went through some sort of automatic update, and you will have to reset everything on your launcher interface, and as others here have said, make sure you reset the launcher of your choice to default.

Upvote 0
Also, make sure that you back up your settings with your custom launcher! This will save the layout of all your icons, your scroll and app drawer settings etc, so that if you ever have to wipe the device or reinstall the launcher, you can restore the settings from backup and you don't have to set everything up again.

Upvote 0
Google Navigation has disappeared from everyone's screen.:(
It is integrated deep within Google Maps now.:rolleyes:

As for your screen changing on it's own, it sounds like your third party launcher, (or perhaps your phone itself) probably went through some sort of automatic update, and you will have to reset everything on your launcher interface, and as others here have said, make sure you reset the launcher of your choice to default.
Yup. ADW launcher did that to me until I disabled automatic updates.

Also, make sure that you back up your settings with your custom launcher! This will save the layout of all your icons, your scroll and app drawer settings etc, so that if you ever have to wipe the device or reinstall the launcher, you can restore the settings from backup and you don't have to set everything up again.

That helps too! :)

Upvote 0
Did you install the "Virgin Mobile Default ID"? Also known as Mobile ID? If you go to the Mobile ID app icon, it should let you switch away from the VM ID and back to everything you had installed.

The ID Packs are a Sprint/VM specific kind of a launcher, a way of switching between sets of apps on one phone. It is also persistent and seems to show up at inconvenient times, and won't let you opt out of installation.

Upvote 0
Did you install the "Virgin Mobile Default ID"? Also known as Mobile ID? If you go to the Mobile ID app icon, it should let you switch away from the VM ID and back to everything you had installed.

The ID Packs are a Sprint/VM specific kind of a launcher, a way of switching between sets of apps on one phone. It is also persistent and seems to show up at inconvenient times, and won't let you opt out of installation.

Also known as a "Trojan Horse of Bloat". Lol.

It's been said earlier, but just to reiterate: If you've got a third-party launcher that just updated, the defaults were probably reset. Simply tap the home key on your phone, and you should be prompted to select a launcher, as well as make it your default. If not, then:

Go to System Settings -> Applications -> Management -> (scroll down to either your third-party launcher, or the default home launcher, and tap on either one) -> Tap on "Clear Defaults" -> Press the Home key on your phone -> Select Launcher of Choice, and set it as Default -> Tap Yes/OK/Pass Go and Collect $200 -> You're all set, and should have your home-screen and icons back!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones