• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost got a new replacement, but now have refurb on the way :(

thenew3

Android Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2010
CA
So my Droid decided to start acting up on me yesterday. the right most 1/2" of the screen has lost touch capabilities. So basically the right most keys on the onscreen keyboard doesn't work anymore, and if I hold the phone in landscape mode, I can bring down the notification bar, or type in the brower's address bar.

This was a launch day droid, had no problems with it even though my 2 year old has dropped it numerous times.

So I call verizon tech support this morning, the guy was friendly and said no problem, they would call around to my local verizon stores and see if any of them had a new droid in stock, they would replace it with a new one because I have the extended warranty plan on it.

after an hour, and checking with every corporate store within a 60 mile radius, noone has a droid in stock and noone is expecting to receive any more. they said it was discontinued.

So the only option is to get a refurb mailed to me. I asked about the online store but he said he can't get shipments from the online store, he can only put a note in my account and then I can go to a local store to have the device swapped with a new one, but since no stores within an hour driving distance has one in stock, I'm SOL.

So has anyone with a recent warranty replacement certified refurb phone had any issues? I've read that some people have gone through 6 or 7 refurb phones, each with different issues.

I do have a Droid X, but I'm not making that my primary phone until it is rooted so that I can customize it the way I like. (even better if they can crack the boot loader and get custom roms on it)

(just had to vent)

Weird, my phone lost touch capabilities in the lower middle. Can't end calls, can't type the middle letters (r,t,f,g,h,v,b) I can launch apps in that area, but when I try to move the maps in the maps app or a webpage in the browser with ONE finger, it will either zoom in or zoom out (like pinch to zoom).

Anyway, back to your question. I had traded my original unit and got a refurb unit in January (my original had a mic problem where no one could hear me speak, thought it would get fixed with an update, but the update took me out of my 30 days, so they gave me a refurb). The first one at the store looked like someone had been scraping it around the ground, leaving dents and scratches, I requested a different one, and they agreed. Phone worked and looked great until this screen issue. I went into the store where they checked the phone out, determined it was a screen issue and offered a replacement, but as in your case, all the stores are out of stock on the droid, new and refurb, so they are sending me another refurb through the mail.

Did you happen to download any apps right before this screen issue happened?

Upvote 0
my first Droid refurb has been fine. there are a couple small things about it that made it clear it was a refurb (screen is actually TIGHTER than a new one and slightly rubs against the bottom half though it doesn't appear to be causing much damage - and there is a little indentation long the side where it appears someone had a little trouble getting part of the phone together). other than that it's good. but you do hear tons of complaints. everyone says that the refurbs go through tons of checks but clearly that doesn't eliminate plenty of bad ones going out. you'll probably be fine but if not just call and tell them and they should quickly send you yet another.

Upvote 0
I just received a refurb as well and it seems like a very nice one so far. The phone is actually much tighter than my old one. Sliding mechanism seems more solid and battery door actually stays on. I think that the one I received was barely used. The plastic behind the sliding screen is still there with not too much wear from sliding.

I was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised.

Upvote 0
Well, got my refurb REALLY early; today. Opened up the keyboard first thing. I loved the keyboard! It was the old type with bubbly type keys! Then I saw the screen. It was literally almost HALF a centimeter off the keyboard. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it was. Every time I touched the screen, it felt as though I were using a BlackBerry Storm.

To say the least, I sent it back and another is due Tuesday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones